1994 70 HP Johnson No Tell-Tale

ksherb

Cadet
Got overheat horn on engine last week. Replaced Impeller, housing, plates. Flushed hoses from tell-tale hole back to block, then down through. Started tonight with motor flusher, and still no tell-tale stream. Have only run 20 seconds at a time, 3 times, since I have no desire to put in another impeller. Please help.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1994 70 HP Johnson No Tell-Tale

Put the muffs back on it and start it up and let it run long enough for the thermostat to open. The tell-tale with not start until the motor warms up. While you are waiting for engine to warm up keep touching the head with your hand if it gets to the point where you can not put your hand on it and leave it there for at least 5 seconds shut it off it is getting hot.

ksherb

Cadet

Thanks. I will try it in the morning. Just dropped the lower unit again -- only other thing I could think of was that little cam dropped off of the drive shaft and the impeller wasn't turning, but that's not it. I'll put it back together and give it a try in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

ksherb

Cadet

Just put everything back together. Put muffs back on -- still no stream. Ran it until the head was too hot to keep hand on -- probably about a minute or so. There is water from the muffs coming out at the prop when it runs. Any other thoughts? Appreciate the input.

ksherb

Cadet

Just got back from a quick trip to the lake. Tell-tale ran great. Thank you for the advice. I created a bigger problem, however. Boat only goes in reverse. Forward = reverse, Reverse = reverse (but slower), and idle = reverse. Obviously screwed something up getting the lower unit back on this morning. Back to the shop.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been wondering if you got it figured out yet. I've got to replace my waterpump and your story gave me the wiilies.

ksherb

Cadet

yep. When you are putting the lower unite back in, pay attention to the shift rod. The angle at the top needs to be pointing to port, and it needs to fit into the clamp at the top. If it doesn't, the shift rod gets jammed down = reverse only. There are two pins on the clamp to hold the rod -- make sure the pins grab the rod when you close the clamp (by pulling out the rod on the side and re-inserting the retaining pin). Took about 5 minutes to figure it out once I got it on land, but cost me a prop repair. Clyman's doen't go into much detail on that part of the process.