1993 Omc 5.0L EFI cutting out at high RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whysone

Recruit
I have a 1993 Four Winns 190 Horizon 5.0l EFI that cuts out at high RPM. if I rev it in neutral, it will run fine, no missing, no hessitation all the way to 5000 rpm. Under load, if i ease the throttle up to plane speed, it cuts out very little, if i gun it, it cuts out much more, but slowly accelerates to cruise speed, but cuts out more the closer i get to WOT. IT SEEMS SOMEWHAT Intermitent, and once or twice, I slowly eased up the throttle and it didnt miss at all. It seems to me like bad gas or something starving the motor for fuel. Idles fine. Low speed, does fine. Smooth to about plane speed, then the more throttle i give it, the more itmisses. I need a good place to start, suggestions?

94 Sundowner

Cadet
Hopefully you found the problem. I'm experiencing a similar problem with omc 5.0 . I put some lucas fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and now at plane it will slow down on it's own and sounds like popping and or backfiring from the motor area and will sputter till I shift it back into neutral. But will go again full throttle and repeat itself again .

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
years ago I had a problem I couldn't solve on my '88 FW H-200 but my mechanic figured it out right away, the anti siphon valve on the gas tank was sticking/corroded, and restricting fuel flow. They replaced the cheap aluminum one that FW installed and used a better quality Evinrude/Johnson one...and...that was in 2004!

Status
Not open for further replies.