1991 Chiscraft 252 crowne correct prop? and or help

danalbrecht

Recruit
I purchased project boat 1991 ChrisCraft 252 Crowne OMC 5.7 liter Cobra outdrive. There was no prop, therefore I purchased a 14.8 diameter 15 pitch prop, took boat out today, wont come off plane or go over 10 mph, 2500 rpm max. If I put boat in neutral I can get 5,000 rpm..

Is this a pitch problem or something else,,, What size pitch should I have. Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
To gain RPMs, you generally go down in diameter. But I wouldn't think you can afford to lose much more diameter on your prop. When you're on the trailer, can you get more than 2500 RPM in gear? (obviously with water flowing)

danalbrecht

Recruit
Thanks for the reply I gave up for a little bit, heres where I am. 5.7 260 hp omc cobra dry weight 5900 lbs. 15 inch prop. new wires plugs cap rotor, changes spreadbore holley carb to Rochester, timing 8 degrees

Idles perfect, revs up past 5000 no problem in neutral

absolute pig under load me and 2 guys guessing 600 total will not get on plane

The best I ever had has 30 mph by speedo, not bad, long time to get on plane and 4100 rpms Only 2 people 1/2 tank gas no water

lately 3500 rpms wot wont plane

didn't come with a prop don't know what this should have and nobody seems to know

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sounds like it ain't gettin' fuel,...

Is the carb used,..?? is it workin' proper,..??

Hook a remote gas can to a fresh fuel filter, to the fuel pump, 'n try it,...
That'll eliminate the boat's fuel system side of it,....

southkogs

Staff member
Have you weighed your boat?

Dry weight usually means without the drive/engine, but I think that's supposed to be combined weight for your boat. This is a cruiser, right? 27'?