1990 Bayliner w/ 1990 Force 120 Outboard problem/issue?

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

1)I am new to boating and just purchased my first 1990 Bayliner Capri with 120 force outboard motor. The person i bought the boat from just got the engine tuned up, compression checked at 150-155 for all 4 cylinders. Started up fine when i first came out to see it in person. We took it to the water and started up fine then when trying to accelerate it felt very sluggish not like a 120 outboard more like a 40 hp motor. After we reached to 15MPH then it started feeling like we finally started to accelerate. It topped out at 32 - 33MPH. Not sure what the problem is lots of vibration initially while moving the throttle lever all the way up.

2) The next day i would like to flush the engine and let it run for a while I am having trouble starting the motor it turns (cranks) but won't start. Maybe I am doing something wrong when I'm turning the key I'm not sure. I move the throttle lever outward to neutral position then turn the key in on position then push it in few times then crank it over but the engine will not turn on it cranks only.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.