1989 28' Fairbanks Sportfisher with twin Merc 165(470) Alpha one I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPitak

Recruit
Hello everyone, first post ever! Joined this site on account I'm looking to buy a boat. Well, I found one and after reading countless amounts of threads on the infamous Mercruiser 165(470) motors I thought I'd seek some advice. Its a 1989 28' Fairbanks Sportfisher built in Vancouver BC. The boat is in beautiful shape for its age and has been well looked after, lots of updates. Boat has had 3 owners, current owner has had it for 6 years, previous owner for 13. Mechanically the boat has been very well maintained with all documentation, receipts etc. I water tested the boat and she ran very well. My concerns are the "Twin" 470 Mercs! I was very impressed with the power of these motors, they pushed this 10,000lb beast up to 30knts and on plane with little hesitation. Was ready to put an offer on the boat but decided to wait, and when I got home started to read...hence here I am.

Motors are original, 1000hrs/ea in fresh water. 4" heat exchangers and original magneto style generator and point ignition. (which I plan to upgrade).

Any advice, questions, comments from current/previous Merc 470 owners would be appreciated. I really like the style, layout and condition of this boat, however those motors make me nervous.

PS. Any one who has experience with the 28' Fairbanks please chime in, these boats seem somewhat rare.

Thanks.
Big

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 28' Fairbanks Sportfisher with twin Merc 165(470) Alpha one I/O

Big,
Since you are familiar with the 3-4 short coming of the 470, there is not much to say. It is what it is a small powerful engine that after addressing thers 3-4 issues is a powerful power pack. Especially if you have maintenace records.

Hope this helps, a proud 470 owner.

larry

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

If it is a very special hull and your getting it at a price you can replace the drive system then Maybe

If not look around. Maybe think a bit about resale.

BigPitak

Recruit

Thanks guys. Kinda what I figured, sounds like the Merc 3.7 is a very good engine once you address the demons. Like I said, boat has been very well looked after, pride of ownership shows. The bilge area is spotless with many updates, surprised that electronic ignition and alternator was never addressed. Owner said he never had an issue so he never considered it.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. Will let you know how I make out.

Big.

BigPitak

Recruit

Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update... I did end up buying this boat! I put her in the water late July and spent the remainder of our summer in the great lakes. I really like the layout and build quality of this vessel and have been very happy with my purchase.

The update I wanted to post was more so on the Merc 3.7 motors. To be quite honest, I really love these engines! After owning and operating these engines for several months now I understand what they are all about. Simple, economical and very easy to maintain. Spare parts are certainly becoming scarce, however if Mercruiser were to re-introduce this engine addressing some of its shortcomings I really believe I would purposely look for this setup again. Lastly, after growing up with single engine boats for years... I was very nervous going to a twin setup. However now that I have a twin, I will never go back!

Funny when I started this journey I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything with a twin screw, it also had to have fuel injection and couldn't be older then 2000.... and I ended up buying a twin, carb, 1989. Go figure?

Thanks for reading.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update... I did end up buying this boat! I put her in the water late July and spent the remainder of our summer in the great lakes. I really like the layout and build quality of this vessel and have been very happy with my purchase.

The update I wanted to post was more so on the Merc 3.7 motors. To be quite honest, I really love these engines! After owning and operating these engines for several months now I understand what they are all about. Simple, economical and very easy to maintain. Spare parts are certainly becoming scarce, however if Mercruiser were to re-introduce this engine addressing some of its shortcomings I really believe I would purposely look for this setup again. Lastly, after growing up with single engine boats for years... I was very nervous going to a twin setup. However now that I have a twin, I will never go back!

Funny when I started this journey I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything with a twin screw, it also had to have fuel injection and couldn't be older then 2000.... and I ended up buying a twin, carb, 1989. Go figure?

Thanks for reading.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Thanks for the Update,... Glad she's workin' out for ya,..... ;)

Akcoastline

Recruit

Hi all,

Thanks for reading.
I’m looking into an 89 Fairbanks with twin 4.3’s. I’m really curious about fuel economy and cruising speed can you share some insight?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I’m looking into an 89 Fairbanks with twin 4.3’s. I’m really curious about fuel economy and cruising speed can you share some insight?
BigPit hasnt been here in nearly 8yrs, not likely to get or respond to your post.

Start a topic about your Fairbanks and ask questions there.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.