1988 Johnson GT-150 flooding problems

88cajun

Recruit
Hello All,

I am new to the forums and have my first question, I have an 88 Johnson GT 150 (premixing fuel and oil) on my Cajun Bass Boat. Lately the motor has not been starting after being on the lake for a while. It will start if I detach the fuel line and crank it a few times which leads me to believe it is flooding. At first I thought I had vapor lock in the gas tank pushing fuel in the motor after I killed it but disproved this theory by disconnecting the fuel line after killing the motor and it still had trouble cranking after sitting for a while after hooking the fuel line back up, but again if I cranked with the line off again to clear the carbs of fuel it would crank right up. Any ideas fellas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Johnson GT-150 flooding problems

Remove the carburetor face plate so that you can see the carburetor throats. Now pump the fuel primer bulb up hard. If fuel flows from any of the carburetors (flooding), it's time to remove "all" of them for cleaning and rebuilding using complete carburetor kits.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

jonesg

Admiral

While your in there, inspect the top of the choke solenoid for fuel weeping at the same time with fuel bulb pumped up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Do the carbs on that engine have plastic float bowls? When you fish, do you tilt your engine up while using your trolling motor? When you have the engine tilted up, do you have any fuel leaking out of the carbs where the bowls meet the carb bodies?