1988 175 YAMAH***

TF

Cadet
I HAVE A 175 YAMAHA IT STARTED INTERMINTENLY NOT FIRING ON #2 CYLINDER SOME TIMES WORKS FINE PROBLEM HAS GOT WORSE NOW ITS A COUPLE OF CYCLINDERS WAS TOLD IT WAS MY CDI POWERPACK BUT NOT TO SURE IVE CHECKED COIL ,PLUGS, WIRES ALL IS GOOD AND GROUNDED PROPERLY. CAN ANY ONE HELP

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 175 YAMAH***

I had a similer problem with a 1990 200 Yamaha. It turned out to be the plug wire being corroded right where the spring looking clip that contacts the spark plug to the plug wire. You have to pull the plug wire boot off cut about 1 inch of the wire off and re clip the little metal spring like thing back on the wire. I found this after I bought the coil/wire. You cant just replace the wire as its fused into the coil somehow.

Capt Ken

Commander

Not saying that it can't, but I've been working on Yamahas for going on 13 years and haven't seen a CDI on that model V6 ever go bad. Take one of the firing coils and stick it in place of a non firing coil to see if the problem moves or stays. If it stays, disconnect I believe the lower left white wire on the CDI. That should be the kill wire. Then spin the engine over to see if the two dead cylinders spark then. I may be getting the cart before the horse, but are you sure they aren't firing or is it just that you aren't getting any power out of those cylinders?

TF

Cadet

THE 2 THAT AINT FIRINGARE ACTULY NOT THROWING A SPARK ON MY TESTER IT WILL THROW A SPARK EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE IVE BEEN LOOKING THROUGH MY REPAIR MANUAL CHECKING THE CONTROL UNIT AND ON SOME OF THE WIRES THAT ARE SUPOSED TO HAVE A OHM READING DONT COULD THE CONTROL UNIT POSSIBLY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE