1986 9.9 water pump replacement, circulation question

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman
I have a 9.9 Evinrude that I just bought. When I tested it, there was no water discharging from the motor. I replaced the water pump and there is still no water discharging that I can see. I let it run in the tank for about 5 minutes at a high idle and could still hold my finger on the block and head without burning me. Any suggestions? I NEED HELP!

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1986 9.9 water pump replacement, circulation question

Is the tell tale hole plugged? Remove the rubber water line and see if water is pumping out of it. Do you see water coming out with the exhaust?

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

There is a very small amount coming out with the exhaust. Next dumb question- which hose is the water hose?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Most of the cooling water should be leaving underwater but you should see a good flow from the telltale. As suggested check that the telltale is not blocked. The outlet in the lower cover, the hose. and the elbow at the engine end.

5 minutes at a fast idle may not be long enough to establish whether or not it is overheating. Try a longer run under load.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

I found the telltale hole and it was indeed plugged. Cleared it out with a paperclip and it works great. Thanks for your help!