1986 75 hp Merc outboard Problem

dmoccia

Cadet
About to pull my hair out! I have 1986 75 hp Merc outboard. Last trip out engine seemed to run fine but after sitting awhile (fishing) and restarting the engine, it would cut off when I put it into gear. Got back to dock using my trolling motor. Figured I had a carb problem so I pulled both carbs cleaned and reassembled (did not rebuild as all the parts looked good plus the carbs were clean, not to mention the rebuild kits were $92 each). Reinstalled the carbs and could not get the engine to start at all so I suspected a fuel problem. Replaced fuel, still no start. Pulled a couple plugs and confirmed that I had spark so I don't suspect electrical problem. Replaced fuel pump gaskets and the rubber diaphragm. Still no start. I guess my next step will be to pull/replace the fuel hoses downstream of the fuel pump. Other information: I have the idle mixture screws at 1 full turn out. Also I also noted that I used to be able to get the fuel bulb pumped up real solid but now although it is still pumping the fuel I cant seem to get it as tight as previously. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would take a strong look at your float levels and check for air leaks. (Gaskets)