1983 Bayliner Capri Restore

Greetings fellow boat enthusiasts from Galveston County! I've got a new project in my life and it is rapidly becoming an obsession. Long story short, a 16ft. 1983 Bayliner Capri 1850 with a working Johnson 55 (1990?) has landed in my lap. The trailer lights work, the motor runs, and the hull appears to be in good shape. That's the good news. The bad news is the transom in rotten, along with the stringers and practicaly everything inside. The trailer bunk brackets have practically dissolved right off the trailer frame. Eager to get my hands dirty, I have been studying many threads on this amazing site and feel that even though I have virtually no boat building experience, I am ready to tackle this beast. I have read many Bayliner warning posts and understand that I could really be stepping in it!!! But since I have nothing invested in this boat, my losses should be minimal. Let me say that I am a fisherman first and don't care to be pulling skis or making this into a shiny, attention-seeking boat. The only thing I care about is getting back to my favorite fishing hole (and back!!!) Ok, enough blab, here are some pics:iphone pics 028.jpgiphone pics 016.jpgiphone pics 017.jpgiphone pics 019.jpgiphone pics 020.jpg
With some help, I took off the motor, disconnected all wiring and have begun stripping the inside. The floor has been previously repaired, or...uhh we'll say temporarily replaced with 3/4 ply left untreated and then carpeted. The floor was easy to pull out becasue of this, and it came out in one piece. Seems the previous owner quick-fixed some issues.

Hope I started this thread post correctly, and if so, any response will be greatly appreciated.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 Bayliner Capri Restore

Looks like a big job. Are you sure it is a 1850 not a 1700 or even 1600? You might want to take the cap off to fix the trans sum.
By the way your thread with be moved to the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair near the bottom of the iboats page. Just to let you know

rickryder

Commander

Welcome to iboats! Nice to have you at the dry dock :D

There is a huge amount of info and help to get your project done!
If you have not read this page yet....it's one of the must reads...http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451
These are also very helpful along with many others .....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

Read through a bunch of resto threads and you'll see exactly what you need to do.... Ask questions if you don't understand something.....someone will chime in and get ya goin! Good Luck on your rebuild! Use all the safety equipment when working with glass and resin.....it can be real nasty stuff ;)

Rick

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard!

As mentioned above, take a good look at what's involved. An old Bayliner in the shape that this one is in might be more trouble than it's worth (even just for a fishin' rig). If you're just in for the challenge, and the expense of it doesn't bother you ... have at it, enjoy and post pictures. A lot of guys like rebuilding them.

If you're just looking for a decent fishing boat - $1,000 should cover you for something simple and that might be considerably cheaper than fixing the Bayliner up.

BTW - those little 55 Johnson/Evinrudes are nice motors. I've had one myself.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I'd take the motor and go find a hull. What you have there is a pile of non-biodegradable material that isn't worth even considering a restore. You're probably looking at close to a year of weekends and a few thousand dollars worth of work. Just my two cents....

Thank you all for the suggestions. Here are some more pics of the demoiphone pics 049.jpgiphone pics 030.jpgiphone pics 032.jpgiphone pics 034.jpgiphone pics 047.jpg Instead of pulling the cap to get to the transom, I used a sawzall to cut the cap over the splashwell/transom, and was hoping to fill the void with ply and resin then recap and glass the splashwell. I used an electric chainsaw to extract rotten wood. Near the bottom close to the drainplug, the wood feels really solid and came out a lighter color. I understand pulling the cap would probably be best, but since the original transom plywood did not extend the full width of the boat, I was hoping to fill the void then reinforce with more ply/glass the inside of the fuel storage. Also, I do have all the upholstry and have already cut and sealed new ply pieces for restore. All I have left is to clean and stable the vinyl. (The boat was given to me in January, so I have already invested a little time into the project.)

more pics:
iphone pics 069.jpgiphone pics 036.jpgiphone pics 058.jpgiphone pics 065.jpgiphone pics 068.jpg
Have a grinder, but a chisel and hammer seemed to be more effecient at chipping away the liquid nails that the previous owner had used to bond the carpet.

rickryder

Commander

Only problem with not pulling the cap is working on the stringers and deck under the bow area....... I did mine cap on but didn't need a transom.... Working under the walk through and front bow seats was a PITA..... if I had to do it again the cap would come off....... just my .02

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

For a hundred bucks get an expert in there to check you transom with core samples.
Seems a pity to waste all your time for not?
Hard to see in the pics.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The cost of materials to fix this one might get you a better hull. That 55 would be an excellent motor for a 16' aluminum hull.