1978 18ft Mariner: I won this "Pig in a Poke" on Ebay..!

BigMega

Cadet
264978130804 Ebay Item No. Sold on Dec. 22, 2020: Check it out...!
Hello Everyone:
This is my first post and my first Starcraft: First, let me say that I am thrilled to be a member of this active, helpful, group of Starcraft owners: I will do my share by posting pictures and answering questions when I feel I can contribute meaningfully to a discussion: I recently on Dec 22,2020 won a charity auction on Ebay for a 1978 18ft Starcraft Mariner. I had no idea what I was getting into...the pictures told me very little ...because it was a charity auction I couldn't ask questions...The description described a boat that had been unused for the last 15 years, floors that were replaced and seats recovered 17 years ago. Motor had been winterized and used only in lakes and ponds. It was a complete crapshoot but I decided to take a chance and glad that I did. The donor was the second owner who purchased the boat from his friend in 1981 and re-powered the 55hp Evinrude with a 70hp Johnson: The motor has always been winterized and used only in a lake. Even after 15 years in storage the motor was free and pivoted on all axis. The gas tanks were empty and bright and shiny on the inside. The owner gave me all the original paperwork including owners manuals and brochures and purchase receipts. I'm feeling pretty good about the motor.. and the trailer is a 1978 EZ LOADER in awesome condition with bearing buddies and believe it or not working lights. I threw on some new tires and rims and drove over 100 miles. Not completely unexpected, the floors were mushy and the transom badly needs replacement. All along the splashwell where it meets the transom their is 1/4" gap and you can very easily push a finger deep into the wood. I tried to attach pics but they may be too large to display..
I plan on taking the boat off of the trailer to do the transom and floors...is there any particular part of the boat that I should put supports under while off the trailer?
Tnx Bigmega

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1048.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1049.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 20

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a homemade center console.-----A package like that would be $30,000 + new.-------A very good plan to remove floor / replace transom.------A boat like that properly fixed will give you years of enjoyment.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
I like your positivity!!!!
Best of luck!!!!
Welcome!!!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome!

That's a sweet Rig!

Those 3cyl OMCs are bombproof and easy to work on...should push that light mariner really well.

img_1039-jpg.331555

Must of us build mobile cradles using lumber & caster wheels (or furniture dollies from HF) esp if you need to move it around/in/out of a shop. I find that it makes getting it on/off the trailer a bit easier as well...esp if its a tilt trailer.

If you don't need it mobile, a few old tires would suffice!

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Cool looking old boat! Welcome! You got some work ahead of you but the fun will be worth it in the end. Im on the same path!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a good candidate for rehab.

I would suggest adding power tilt to that motor if you can.
That splash well is 33" ? deep, and the back of the motor is a foot further.
Makes for a real challenge to tilt the motor.

No additional supports needed under the floor, unless you want to beef up the area(s) you mount the seat(s).

BigMega

Cadet
Looks like a homemade center console.-----A package like that would be $30,000 + new.-------A very good plan to remove floor / replace transom.------A boat like that properly fixed will give you years of enjoyment.
Yes, the PO told me it was homebuilt: I wound up tearing it out, along with the floor.( pictures in another posting of the floor tearout). Tnx

Attachments

• IMG_1074.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 16

BigMega

Cadet
Looks like a good candidate for rehab.

I would suggest adding power tilt to that motor if you can.
That splash well is 33" ? deep, and the back of the motor is a foot further.
Makes for a real challenge to tilt the motor.

No additional supports needed under the floor, unless you want to beef up the area(s) you mount the seat(s).
Yes, a power trim is on my "To Buy" list...Tnx

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
@BigMega I see the floors were pretty much mulch. Still plenty of potential! Are you planning on rebuilding a new center console?