1975 Stinger 75 HP Stalls when put into gear.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman
I have a 1975 Johnson Stinger 75 HP that I just bought. Runs great with the muffs on, but when put into the lake it stalls when its put into gear. After running it for about 15 minutes at high idle in neutral (and it was 85 degrees outside) it would finally let me get it into gear and go. It ran fine after that in higher RPM. My wife wants to take this out and use it, and I just don't trust it as it is. Any suggestions?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 Stinger 75 HP Stalls when put into gear.

Do you have a tac? The engine will idle fine at low speed on muffs, but because of backpressure in the water it will stall if the idle is to slow. On muffs it should be about 1000 rpm. In the water it should about 650 - 700.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

No, I don't have a tach. Where is the idle adjustment on this engine, do you know?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Remove the cover and look on the starboard side of the block, same side as the cables. The throttle cable attaches to a arm. look for a large slotted screw,that will be the throttle stop. Have someone raise the cold start lever and watch it, you will see how it works. Becareful not to get the idle to high, it can cause problems in lower unit if to high.