1974 GREW 245 Hardtop question looking for history of the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys and gals

I just picked up a grew 245 HT and was wondering if anyone has some history to these boats.

I heard they were used as a work boat in Georgian Bay back in their days ?

I also heard they were well built ?

any info would be great
Thank you

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 GREW 245 Hardtop question looking for history of the boat

There used to be a Yahoo Groups forum for Slickcraft and Grew by Slickcraft boats, but is no longer as Yahoo Groups got dismantled. I don't know if there is a cache of those groups anywhere stored on the web but there was a lot of good info, pics, data, etc.
Grew built the Slickcraft designs in Penetanguishene to help Slickcraft avoid Canadian tariffs pre free trade.
They are well built boats and fairly efficient weight-wise - all mahogany stringers.
I don't know what "work" was being done in Georgian Bay in the 70's but the OPP has used a few hardtop Grews over the years... dunno if they were 245's.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for the reply
I just finished cleaning her all out and man do I love the lines and look of it !
Now I just have to wait until spring :(

Huron Angler

Admiral

That should be a great boat for the big water:)

Slickcraft boats were made here in Michigan, known to be solid and well manufactured.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never been so excited about a boat before !!
I will post a pic soon
Hopefully it will tolerate lake ontario !!!

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG-20111020-00003.jpg
A few pics
IMG-20111020-00004.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

nice!! - Newmarket registration (86E), so probably began life on Lake Simcoe.

run-a-muk

Recruit

I have the same boat , I use it quite a bit well over 100 hrs a year on the west coast of Vancouver Island , it is the best boat I have ever owned. Made it through some very nasty seas last week . One wave crashed over the entire boat and she came out shining. They are not very popular over here.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I know this is a stale thread but I can confirm that the Grew 245 was indeed a workboat in Ontario. The Ontario Provincial Police used them in the Trent-Severn Waterway, in Georgian Bay & Honey Harbor. They had large “O.P.P.” lettering in gold with black outline along the center of the hull on each side.

Attached is a picture of a Grew 245 out of none other than the 1974 Grew brochure. I grabbed it from the dealer in 1974 where dad bought his Starcraft. They were also a Grew and Evinrude dealer, and carried the E-Z Loader boat trailers as well. The O.P.P. boats looked identical to the brochure picture except for the aforementioned logo. They even ran MerCruiser stern drives.

Attachments

• Grew 245.jpg
    Grew 245.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love that Pic
Thank you
So far the boat has been great and we have had tons of fun on it !

slick245-ss

Cadet

I have the same boat , I use it quite a bit well over 100 hrs a year on the west coast of Vancouver Island , it is the best boat I have ever owned. Made it through some very nasty seas last week . One wave crashed over the entire boat and she came out shining. They are not very popular over here.

I have the ss245& was very impressed the way she handled the chop on a nasty day took blue water over the bow & kept moving along safely to home port. I'm on the south end from Vancouver Island. & have only seen one other slickcraft think it was a 28ft

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Recruit
I know this is an old post, just curious how the boat worked out for you? You find any further information?

Status
Not open for further replies.