***(1973 Merc 20hp) , Recoil assembly-?

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(sorry about the other post)<br />Well hello folks!!<br /><br /> My old starter rope broke on me, i took the assembly apart, and can't get it back together right again. all the parts are still here.<br /><br /> I have the a wave washer, 2 flat washers and a what seems to be like a pie pan washer , that i forgot goes where????????? .I did get the thing sprung loaded, but when i pulled the rope, the spikes that catch the thing on top of the flywheel don't come out. They stay in? It was not like this before.. <br /> PLEASE HELP!!!! 1973 20hp mercury serial # 3669749 model:200 need more info?, please ask<br /><br /> thanks in advance,rcobb

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ***(1973 Merc 20hp) , Recoil assembly-?

Howdy, Ryan.<br /><br />Check out the "Edit Post" icon at the top of your post. It can save you a lot of trouble.<br /><br />Thanks for the testimonial: "If you try to work on an outboard without a manual you have a fool for a mechanic."<br /><br />We keep trying to tell people that.<br /><br />I don't have a manual for your engine, so I can't help you. There should be a Merc-spert along soon who can explain.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

please someone help!! i know their is someone here that can help me!! Please take the time to read my post!!!!!<br /><br /><br /> rc

DHPMARINE

Captain

Ryan,you at least need an exploded view picture of the recoil unit.If you want to drive up here to MA.,I'll print you one.Hope you have a closer dealer.<br />DHP

ryanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know where to find a diagram, but i thought somone here that is a tech, could walk me through on how to get the parts that catch the top of the flywheel to open and work right? (the apike like things) Plus those diagram are drawn 2 small, and r 2 fuzzy to make out what the parts are, and where they go.<br /><br /> I know someone here can help me....I have a manual, that people on this site told me to buy, but it doesn't cover much od my motor at all. And this manual is for my motor......SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM, AND NOT WITH WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE. RC :(

DHPMARINE

Captain

Ryan T.<br /><br />Sorry to see you YELLING!<br />What I am suggesting is the exploded view from the parts manual,which usually prints out pretty well.<br />Beyond this keeping everything lined up can be a real pain. I've been doing them for years,and sometimes need a second try when it binds after assembly.<br />The spikes are called pawls,and as I recall the indented 'dot' should be visible when assembled.<br />If you have never done one,I'd suggest 3-4 attempts,then take it to the shop.These recoils really can irritate.<br />DHP