1973 Baja valuable?

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a 1973 16' Baja a couple of weeks ago. I've been led to believe that this is the second year model. It's in really good shape to be 30 years old. Does anybody know if it could be valuable?

slabbott

Cadet
Re: 1973 Baja valuable?

I don't know about the value, but we used to have a 1979 17" Baja v-hull runabout with a 180 mercruiser stern drive. GREAT BOAT!! I was in college and my dad was on a foreign car kick at the time. He traded the boat for an Audi 5000 diesel car, that didn't run. The boat needed a $200 flywheel and a seat repair. I never let him forget about it. That care gave him fits for the next five years and I'm sure someone is enjoying that boat today (still laughing about that sucker who took the car off their hands). If your boat is in good shape, I'd hang on to it. Ours always ran great and was good for fishing and skiing. God bless! :)

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is an outboard model. Originally powered by a mercury, a 88hp OMC took its place in 1987. The boat is in really good condition structurally. It runs over 50 mph with no special parts and handles well. I hope to sell the hull to someone who might restore it, so that I can put together a fishing boat.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's not valuable, I guess I could mount a bass seat and trolling motor on the front!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Value depends on a lot of things - most of all someone who considers if to have value. You might want to search around and see if there are any Baja owners groups. Someone may take an interest in it. Value also goes hand-in-hand with the "coolness" factor. If it looks "cool" with rakish lines, low profile windshield, sparkly metal flake, etc. then it could be "the" boat for someone intent on reliving their mispent youth... Try listing it on eBay and see what happens - that'll give you the best indication of "value"...<br />You could also try posting some queries on the Fiberglassics.com site, as they specialize in old plastic. Good luck!<br /> - Scott

74Baja

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a 1974 baja 16 footer. i love it. im currently doing a transom replacement on it (hard work) mine sounds very similar. it is veryfast and agile and looks awesome. its painted teal with silver streaks.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Baja's from this era(1970's) were made from the Checkmate molds. Baja purchased the molds from Checkmate. The boat is valuable if it is in good shape. They are good fast hulls!<br />-TR

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just picked up a 75 15 footer looks like a very sound hull

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I picked up a 16 footer free. The marina just wanted to get it off their lot. Trees griowing inside it etc. Orange metalflake with 115 Merc. Lower unit on merc frozen (water) and cracked open, no spark on engine, junk. I have stripped the boat down to the bare hull - it is sound- and will start restoring it this summer. I figure that a lot of people want a go fast boat and I will be able to sell it for a reasonable price. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

wolfse

Cadet

I just bought 1 74 Baja 16' but I would like to see pictures of your Bajas. I am working on mine and would like to see what they look like.
:)

rndn

Commander

It's not old enough to have a value other than the value of being a boat.