1972 25hp evinrude water over flow issue

nick271

Seaman
G'day legends
Appreciate all the help iv gotten so far on this old outboard
Onto the next issue to solve there seems to be an excessive amount of water building up in the tray as it's not draining through the motor properly and iv got no clue where it's supposed to drain from
Iv uploaded a quick vid am I worried for no reason or is this not right ran the motor in the bin for 5 min WOT in neutral the motors not over heating can still touch it

Attachments

• 20240520_172543.mp4
    6.6 MB · Views: 2

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I'd have to say you have a leak...and it seams like it's from everywhere!

Anything coming out of your tell tale?

nick271

Seaman
Yeah it's spraying mist out of the exuast hole on the leg
Im doing a caribe rebuild in a few days was thinking of checking the thermostat if that is locking open or closed could that be causing pressure build up and forcing the leaks
Also what gaskets would need replacing to seal the leaks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There should be no water there at all.----Find the leak.---Repair the leak.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That’s the water cooled model. 😂
Wet vac it out as it’s running and try to locate the leak. Look around the water jacket and the head.
Best

nick271

Seaman
That’s the water cooled model. 😂
Wet vac it out as it’s running and try to locate the leak. Look around the water jacket and the head.
Best
Do you have any vidio references on how to do that?
Im a backyard bush mechanic figuring all this out as I go

nick271

Seaman
Do you have any vidio references on how to do that?
Im a backyard bush mechanic figuring all this out as I go
Never mind just clicked on to wet vac lol suck the water out with a vacuum to spot the leak

nick271

Seaman
This could be considered a stupid question but im only just starting to reserch the water flow but could water be leaking from a bad gasket on a cylinder head?
I only ask cose I replaced the cylinder head about 2 months ago with one off my spare parts motor and the gasket on the spare parts motor looked in good shape so I just reused that one

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That could very well be the cause.
Always use a new head gasket.
Once they are compressed they don’t alway seal properly again.

nick271

Seaman
This could be considered a stupid question but im only just starting to reserch the water flow but could water be leaking from a bad gasket on a cylinder head?
I only ask cose I replaced the cylinder head about 2 months ago with one off my spare parts motor and the gasket on the spare parts motor looked in good shape so I just reused that one
Likely the core plug item #15 is leaking or missing.----
I just looked this up for the sake of 15 bucks thought why not order 1 also got a new cylinder head Gasket coming as I got a feeling this could be the issue
Also got a Thermostat Gasket coming so I can check that out as well seen as its the one of the spare parts motor and was on the cylinder head I swaped I never looked at it

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Did you do a compression check? Do that before replacing gasket.

Shop vac.....look carefully....
What area is leaking....report back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What rubber hose / plastic fitting on this model ?----There was no tell tale on this 72 model when it left the factory.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Yeah, I know.... but it's flowing so well it looks like it.

My guess is that the blocks metal components are salted out and forming leaks.

This motor is coming to its end.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the core plug , bottom of cylinder head is leaking.----Easy fix.

nick271

Seaman
As far back as iv tracked this motor from owner that had it 15 years before me was fresh water compression is 121 top 120 bottom
Motor is nowhere near its end yet but it's not been looked after before me im just working through issues learning the motor and once I get it figured out gonna do a rebuild

That being said as per 1 of my previous posts hear I replaced the cylinder head and used a old gasket ran great for a bit and now flooding water I think its definitely the issue at hand

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That cylinder head is likely warped , they all are.-----Unless it was refinished already.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like3 water coming out from all around the cylinder surfaces.

Doyou know the correct sequence to tighten any cylinder on any engine ever made ? Someone can post a sequence picture of how to do it. Also how tight did you first tighten the cylinder head bolts. Did you retighten them after a WOT run of about 5 or more minutes ?
Hard to tell if the leaks could be from a loose connection between power hed casting and the middle shaft housing under the powerhead.