1971 Crestliner Sea Scout Restore

tktcpa

Cadet
In March of 2015, I bought a 71' Crestliner Sea Scout, Trailer and 50hp Johnson OB.....all original. I had been looking for this boat as my when I was young, our cabin neighbors had this same boat and I always thought it was fun little package. I sold the engine to a young kid who wanted for another vintage boat and upgraded to a newer 1985 rebuilt 50hp Johnson OB. This was my first-ever boat restore and took longer than I thought it would, be the end result turned out pretty good. It really scoots along on the water and I look forward to using it this coming summer for fishing and kicking around. Attached are some before, during and after pictures...enjoy!

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard tktcpa,

Looks like a nice little lake boat.

tktcpa

Cadet
Thanks.....having problems uploading pictures??? Your Starcraft looks beautiful....looking forward to being part of this forum!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks great!

Got any pix of while you worked on it?

Or at least a list of what was done....

Watermann

She's a little beauty!

fetch

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
What caught my eye is that engine. That's the same powerhead they use today in the SST hydroplane races. I use the 60 hp version but yours is the same. Very light and it's under rated. You should have no problem scoring the bigger SS45 or 60hp carbs if you need a bit more out of it. That's the only difference. You can't blow it up, it runs all day on a tank of gas at 4500 rpm and if ya wanna make it fly reliably you can. Best series engine ever built and is why I jumped my 16' Bayrunner with it.

tktcpa

Cadet
I used the Brightside One-Part Polyurethane from West Marine. The topside was the "Fire Red" color and the hull was "Off White" color. Before painting, I sanded the boat really good and applied Interlux Brightside Pre-Kote Primer which created a real nice, solid surface from which to apply the final top and bottom paint. There are cheaper paints on the market, but not sure how well they will hold up.

tktcpa

Cadet
One more attempt with connecting to the complete gallery of pictures I put on Photobucket.

Watermann

You can post in the pics you want by clicking on IMG line to the right of the pic on PB and then paste the code it copies here in your post like so...

Watermann

The line that says IMG. I think you're copying and pasting from the IM & email or the direct line.