1969 Glasspar 17' Citation(?)

thompsch

Recruit
Hi all -
I recently scored a lovely 17' 1969 Glaspar (not sure if it's the Citation or "Flying V 175"). The floor deck is rotten in places, so I've pulled up the "rug" and started hacking away at the plywood underneath. I was expecting to find stringers under there, but instead I've found a) 3/4" ply sitting atop 1/2" ply (with a glass layer in-between), sitting directly on top of foam. Is that expected? Or are there stringers "hidden" in all that foam? I honestly can't tell if the underlayment plywood was just glued to the foam, but I've seen no evidence of fasteners.

Follow-up question: do I need to replace the foam, or will replacing the ply with marine plywood and CSM fiberglass be reasonable?

Attachments

• 20230601_153213.jpg
    20230601_153213.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

jbcurt00

Staff member
That's a reckless 3/4 deck over cosmetic temp fix by someone to hide a bad 1/2in deck.

Likely Full gut & rehab

thompsch

Recruit
Oh, interesting...so the original deck was just the 1/2" ply with glass (presumably top and bottom)? Should there be stringers somewhere inside that foam, do you think?

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi all -
I recently scored a lovely 17' 1969 Glaspar. . . I was expecting to find stringers under there, but instead I've found a) 3/4" ply sitting atop 1/2" ply (with a glass layer in-between), sitting directly on top of foam. Is that expected? Or are there stringers "hidden" in all that foam? I honestly can't tell if the underlayment plywood was just glued to the foam, but I've seen no evidence of fasteners.

Follow-up question: do I need to replace the foam, or will replacing the ply with marine plywood and CSM fiberglass be reasonable?
Looks like fiberglass stringers. May be foam cored.

20230601X153213.jpg
Yes, it is a good idea to add the foam back in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Oh, interesting...so the original deck was just the 1/2" ply with glass (presumably top and bottom)? Should there be stringers somewhere inside that foam, do you think?
Yes.

The deck-over is a common practice by unscrupulous people to sell rotten boats

Your transom and stringers rotted 10 - 15 years before the original floor rotted

Time for a complete rebuild