1969 40 Horse Evinrude Lower Unit Gear Oil

AltaMira

Cadet
I just got a 1969 40 Horse Selectric Evinrude (model #40973R). What lower unit gear oil should be used in this motor? Any help would be great!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1969 40 Horse Evinrude Lower Unit Gear Oil

Nearly 24 hours gone and no reply.

As far as i know only the hydro- electric shifts (a hydraulic system controlled electrically) require anything other than the "normal" Hi-vis outboard gear oil. Yours is a mechanical system operated electrically

Anyway thats bumped the post up the pile for you!

AltaMira

Cadet

I thought it was some other type that was less conductive than regular gear oil.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

An electric shift requires a "thinner" oil. Use the Evinrude PREMIUM BLEND oil or another brand that states that it is a TYPE C or recommended for electric shift motors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

An electric shift requires a "thinner" oil. Use the Evinrude PREMIUM BLEND oil or another brand that states that it is a TYPE C or recommended for electric shift motors.

Agreed, that is an electric shift motor and it is very important that The correct oil be used. Evinrude used to call it Type C, but now calls it Evinrude Premium Blend. Other mfrs still call it Type C. Beware of other mfrs that call their oil Premium Gearcase lubricant. Not the same stuff.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Type C, or its equivalent, is required in all electric shift gear boxes then?

I must admit I thought it was only the "hydro electric" ones that required the lighter oil.

AltaMira

Cadet

Thanks for the help folks, I contacted a local Evinrude dealer and he's got the Premium Blend, thanks again.

rustof

Cadet

I own a 1969 evinrude 40hp Big Twin. An engine starting guide plate on the inside of the engine cover recommends that "type C" lubricant be used by as I recall, my model number is 40953R, anyway hope that helps.

AltaMira

Cadet

rustof

My model 40973 owners manual says it is a LARK. Not sure what the difference is. Did you have good luck with your motor?

rustof

Cadet

I took it out on the lake today, ran pretty good with some starting fluid and a fully charged batt. I know that mine is a "big twin" Im assuming the LARK is a two cycle two cyclinder engine right? so whats the big diffrence?

AltaMira

Cadet

Not sure what the difference is, mine is a 2 stroke, 2 cyl. I got lucky when I bought the boat, the engine had not run in over a year and was stored outside, it started right up!

rustof

Cadet

New Problem :( I have a leaking l/u. I took it out on the water today and when i took it out it has greenish white grease leaking out of an auxiliary hole. looks like its new seals for me. :(

F_R

Supreme Mariner

New Problem :( I have a leaking l/u. I took it out on the water today and when i took it out it has greenish white grease leaking out of an auxiliary hole. looks like its new seals for me. :(

Don't be jumping to conclusions. Unless your gearcase oil is green, it isn't that. It probably is the oil that you put in the gas and has gone through the engine and done its job. Now it has gone out the exhaust and became emulsified with water. That's normal and no repairs are necessary.