1968 Sears McCulloch 45hp #68604533 the good, bad and ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found this motor on Craigslist for $100 Suppose to run, lower unit leaks a little and needs resealed.
A few questions

1. when I tried to start it I hooked up cables to bat. and jumped the solenoid and didn't get spark. Do I need to give it power elsewhere (the 4 wire plug) to get spark?

2. What is the rep for these motors? Is it worth putting money in?

3. What controls can I use?

Thank You for any help, tips and warnings. If I should run from it please tell me now. It will be going on a '57 Winner Sabre.
10-18-10_1829.jpg

10-18-10_1828.jpg

10-18-10_1825.jpg

10-18-10_1824.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 Sears McCulloch 45hp #68604533 the good, bad and ugly?

Yes, you need the rest of the motor....the cable & switches, and depending on where it is located on your model, the igniton ballast.

They are an ok motor, if in good condition and complete. Parts are out there but obviously not at every corner gas station. You are almost certain to need something, even if only the usual stuff like a water pump impeller and fuel system parts.

The controls are kind of specialized, especially the cables. Good luck in finding a good complete set.

If you are interested in the restoration and prservation of old motors, it would be an interesting project. Otherwise, if you are merely looking for a motor to run with a minimum of fuss and bother, you probably should find it another home. Somebody wants it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Electric start models use a crankshaft mounted distributor and a flywheel mounted alternator/generator.Battery ignition.Book says ignition problems;check tha ballastresistor usually mounted on or near the key start panel.
I don't think it is a practical everyday motor.You might ask the Scott Guy at Ask the Scott Guy.

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. I got her to fire and run she sounds good. Now I'm insearch of controls. If someone would happen to have a picture of the cable ends motor side and how they attach to the motor it would surly help

M

mrcrabs

the guy in the post below is looking to replace his McCulloch, he might be able to help you on pictures.

Donejo

Recruit
Why don't you read our rules before posting.

Also this thread has been dead for ten years, another thing covered in our rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.