1968 Holiday Deluxe, all original barn find! NOW WITH PICS!!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I came across a deal on CL that made me almost wet my pants... I couldn't call the guy fast enough! "I'LL TAKE IT!!" I informed him. This boat appears to be completely unmolested, 100% original. All the trim is present and in decent shape. The floors are solid as is the transom. This boat has been stored in a barn since new when not in the water. I got it from the original owner's grandson, who knows nothing about boats other than this one "isn't cool". :confused: He said in our first conversation that this boat is "straight out of Giligan's Island goofy". :D

If I told you that I paid $500 for the boat and the ALUMINUM trailer that is rides on would you believe me? I can hardly believe it either... But, it's true.

So now the fun begins. The motor turns over by hand so it is not seized up but, the starter does nothing when the key is turned. I am going to tinker with it this weekend. This boat has the 120hp inboard 4cyl engine. Can anyone tell me a good source for parts? Someone told me that many automotive stores would have most of the parts due to it being a GM engine? I know nothing about these engines and only a small amount about these boats.

I appreciate any advice you guys can send my way. I plan on tearing the boat down this winter and freshening it up for next season however I want to get it servicable for use the remainder of this season.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Picking up a 1968 Holiday Deluxe, boat complete, all original barn find!

Great find Buddy, Welcome to the maddness. You can find a lot of parts right here on ebay. We really need some photos though, they appease the gods around here. lol
PM sent

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

The 120 was a marine version of the old "Cast Iron duke", Mercruiser used it from 1964 to 1989, they also made a 110 model which I believe is just a different carb. It was a 2.5L(151)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_(engine)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just don't use car parts that aren't equivalent to marine parts. Anything electrical like starters and alternators especially are big no nos. They aren't spark protected.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

The 120 was a marine version of the old "Cast Iron duke", Mercruiser used it from 1964 to 1989, they also made a 110 model which I believe is just a different carb. It was a 2.5L(151)

Actually no..Not really..

Just don't use car parts that aren't equivalent to marine parts. Anything electrical like starters and alternators especially are big no nos. They aren't spark protected.

There is the voice of reason..The first replies just skimmed right over that lil tid bit of info..

No Starters
Alternators
Fuel Pumps
Carbs

None of the above can be automotive parts. ever.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For the sake of clarity this is not an Iron Duke. An ID is a crossflow engine, intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the engine. Your link also states the production years were 1977 to 1993. OP said an unmolested 1968 Holiday. Just trying to help the OP get the right auto parts.

The external marine spec parts are the starter, alternator, carb, fuel pump, distributor and distributor cap. Of course the intake and exhaust manifolds are MercCruiser specific as well as some of the pre-formed hoses. The engine water pump can use the auto version only for fresh water use. For salt water use the marine pump, it will last longer. That leaves spark plugs, plug wires, oil filter and belts. Maybe a few other small parts. Now for internal parts, some are marine spec and some are generic. Hope this helps. Oh, the auto parts you can use are from a Chevy II, 1968 should work. Except core (freeze) plugs, which cannot shouldn't be replaced with auto parts. Don't last long.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the sake of clarity this is not an Iron Duke. An ID is a crossflow engine, intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the engine. Your link also states the production years were 1977 to 1993. OP said an unmolested 1968 Holiday. Just trying to help the OP get the right auto parts.

The external marine spec parts are the starter, alternator, carb, fuel pump, distributor and distributor cap. Of course the intake and exhaust manifolds are MercCruiser specific as well as some of the pre-formed hoses. The engine water pump can use the auto version only for fresh water use. For salt water use the marine pump, it will last longer. That leaves spark plugs, plug wires, oil filter and belts. Maybe a few other small parts. Now for internal parts, some are marine spec and some are generic. Hope this helps. Oh, the auto parts you can use are from a Chevy II, 1968 should work. Except core (freeze) plugs, which cannot shouldn't be replaced with auto parts. Don't last long.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you get this one?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/2492385423.html

Looks like a great deal.

That would be it!

He is a nice guy but, thankfully has no idea what he has. I gave him full asking price without question. Now this is assuming that I get decent numbers from a compression test Sat morning when I pick it up. If there is water in the oil or a bad cylinder then this may be more of a project that I want to get into.

How common are replacement motors and what kind of cost if the block is cracked?

On a different note, thank you guys for the fast and well thought out advise. I really like this boat and want to enjoy it.

I am bringing my standard tool box, a compression test gauge, a jump box, and another boating buddy to help me go over this thing. I am on a shoestring budget this year as I am going through a ugly divorce right now... That is where my Bayliner went... SHE took it.

So I have been stalking CL and a few other places looking for a good deal on my next form of aqua therapy. I grew up on the water and can't imagine not being able to go out for a boat ride after a rough day or week... That is my down time. Not to mention the fun my daughter and I have on the water. She loves it just like me! I hate loosing that time with her, she is growing up too fast.

Sorry I am rambling. Thanks again for any advise!!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will post pics Saturday once I get my grubby little hands on it!

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad someone from here got that boat. It seemed like a great deal.

GA_Boater

Ramble, ramble Mike. And get that :D off your face Good luck on the start-up.

GA_Boater

Hey gf, I'll take you up on that offer to bring her down to Knoxville for me. (after Mike gets her running) ;) You might have to hook up in the middle of the night and get out of town quick. :rolleyes:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Fantastic find!!
The 1968 Holiday was the best of em all! lol
If she was barn kept (and she looks it) then I doubt the block is cracked, did you ask him about his "winterizing procedure"? (whatever that is????) lol
I would bring an extra fully charged car battery, check the oil, pull the plugs and turn the key to see how she turns over, hopefully she spins smoothly.
You could get all crazy and take a pair of 8 dollar muffs (or your boat buddy may have some..) a gallon gas can of fresh fuel and a small can of Sea-Foam additive (just in case you need it for the carbs)
If she spins freely, grab a hose, put the plugs back in, hook up the mufflers to the outdrive and put the "IN" fuel line from the fuel pump, (it's below the dist, just forward) in the gas can and hit the key!!!

She may just fire up (hope the $$ doesnt go up after he hears it fire!)

You will need a manual, so Merry Christmas.

http://www.4shared.com/document/ozc1_97A/Service_Manual_01.html

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Mercruiser used it from 1964 to 1989 and GM used it from 1977 to 1993

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks George!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ramble, ramble Mike. And get that :D off your face Good luck on the start-up.

Is that jealousy I am detecting?? :D Just kidding, Thanks for the well wishes!

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fantastic find!!
The 1968 Holiday was the best of em all! lol
If she was barn kept (and she looks it) then I doubt the block is cracked, did you ask him about his "winterizing procedure"? (whatever that is????) lol
I would bring an extra fully charged car battery, check the oil, pull the plugs and turn the key to see how she turns over, hopefully she spins smoothly.
You could get all crazy and take a pair of 8 dollar muffs (or your boat buddy may have some..) a gallon gas can of fresh fuel and a small can of Sea-Foam additive (just in case you need it for the carbs)
If she spins freely, grab a hose, put the plugs back in, hook up the mufflers to the outdrive and put the "IN" fuel line from the fuel pump, (it's below the dist, just forward) in the gas can and hit the key!!!

She may just fire up (hope the $$ doesnt go up after he hears it fire!)

You will need a manual, so Merry Christmas.

http://www.4shared.com/document/ozc1_97A/Service_Manual_01.html

CheapboatKev,

You rock!! I am an info junkie and am soaking this up like a sponge. I am bringing a battery along with a wide assortment of tools and a compression tester. I plan to pull the plugs and compression test the motor if I can. If that goes well and there is no sign of water in the oil then I will bring it home before trying to start it.

The current owner says he hasn't messed with the boat since throwing a battery in it to see if it would start. It didn't and he says he thinks it is the solenoid. I am hoping to jump the solenoid for testing sake and spin the starter that way enough to compression test it.

Heading out in about an hour. Now, what did I do with that "spare" license plate... Wish me luck boys!!

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm jealous. Maybe I can come see you and it next time we visit the kids. They live near Midlothian off Courthouse. On the way back to Tin-nessee today. Reckon I can get the legislature to correct the spelling for the Starmada??? One of my fraternity brothers is a state senator.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is boys:

DSCN3110.jpg

DSCN3111.jpg

DSCN3112.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3109.jpg