1966 33hp Evinrude. Carb problem?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1966 33hp Evinrude.

I bought this motor this spring and connected it to the boat. It didn't want to run so I rebuilt the carb. (First time ever rebuilding one so not 100% sure was done right).

I tested it in a river and it didn't have any power. I had the low speed out 1 1/2 turns. To get any kind of speed the high speed setting had to be in all the way.

I took it out on the lake and messed around with it this last weekend. I got it to plane the boat out (I think) by having BOTH the low speed and the high speed adjustments all the way in. Is this normal? It won't idle good with this setting...

What would cause this? What can I do to fix. Not sure I am getting the speed I should with this. It is a 17' aluminum star craft boat from 1964.

What speed should I get on a calm lake with this motor and this boat?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 33hp Evinrude. Carb problem?

Visit your local library and see if they have a service manual for that engine (they usually do). The carburetor has been incorrectly rebuilt/assembled and I suspect that you've left out the main round thick cork nozzle gasket.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Visit your local library and see if they have a service manual for that engine (they usually do). The carburetor has been incorrectly rebuilt/assembled and I suspect that you've left out the main round thick cork nozzle gasket."

I have the shop manual for it already. "I suspect that you've left out the main round thick cork nozzle gasket" I did not put this anywhere as I couldn't find a place for it and I didn't remove one either. Where would this go? I seen the thick cork gasket and didn't know where it went as I didn't remove one and didn't see it in the shop manual.

I don't know the names for the parts of the barb but...
I removed the carb bowl. Took out the float needle and pin. I removed the center nut that that all sat in. I removed both high/low speed adjustments. I then took the backing nuts out and plastic washers. I blew all the holes in the carb out.

I put the packing nuts in the low/high speed adjusters.
I put the needle seat back in. Put the needle and float in.
I put the bowl gasket on.
and then put the bowl back on.

Where does that washer go? And thanks for the reply!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That thick round cork gasket..... my apologies as that model carburetor does not use one. Disregard my remarks about that item.

Your work sequence seems okay but something has been overlooked. With those two needle valves screwed in, it should be impossible for the engine to run BUT fuel is obviously being fed to the engine.

If fuel leaks from the carburetor when the fuel primer bulb is pumped up hard, that would indicate that either the float needle valve is faulty OR the float level is incorrect.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

F_R

Supreme Mariner

With both needles screwed all the way in (if they actually are) it cannot get any fuel to run. There may be some seepage through where the main nozzle fits into the carb bowl, the site of the mysterious cork gasket that doesn't belong in there, but that would be nowhere near enough to run the engine. The only other place the engine can get any fuel is through a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm. Have you considered that?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No fuel links from the carb when pumping the ball.

Could it be sucking air from around the low/high speed as I only put one packing nut in each and then the plastic washer?

Could the low/high speed be worn too much and seating them all the way in is where it should be? Not sure. I have to start it in gear for it to start this way as the low speed has to be out 1 turn to 1 1/2 for it to start. If both are all the way in it runs good at high speed but will only idle good for about 40 seconds and will not start like this unless its in gear and throddle up to high speed.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

FR I took the fuel pump apart and it doesn't seem to have one at all. Its all hard plastic in there. If it has one it is hidden. They don't make rebuild kits for it so maybe there isn't one on these fuel pumps. It has a screen, then it goes to a hard plastic inside. It also has a hole in the motor and one in the back of the fuel pump with a gasket between them. (hole open though).

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing to point out...

With the high speed out even 1/2 a turn it bogs the engine down. If the low speed is out 1 turn it does the same thing. If the high speed is out 1/2 turn to 1 turn and low speed is in all the way it has some speed to it. With both all the way in it get the most speed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

NO fuel pump diaphragm??? Aw come on now. Are you sure? Take the pump off the motor and squeeze the primer bulb. If gas shoots out the pulse hole in the pump, it is shot. Or the diaphragm is missing. How does it pull gas from the tank that way???

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. So I will try that and get back. Does anyone have any different ideas?