1963 evinrude 18hp slow fast knobs

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
What do the slow and fast knobs do? there used to adjust the carb right? Can someone explain how to use these in detail?

masterbt

Seaman
low for idol high for high that's probly your problem set low at idol and high on the boat ,start at 1.5 turns low get that and his should be easy.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
What do the slow and fast knobs do? there used to adjust the carb right? Can someone explain how to use these in detail?
See Joe Reeves instructions for adjusting carb needles on the Engine FAQs board, or link from the "Top secret file"

Last edited:

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
For slow all the way clockwise means it is set to WHAT? For fast all the way clockwise means it is set to WHAT?

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
I am at work right now so i cant look at my seloc manual but does any one know if there is a walkthrough in there that describe the needle adjustment procedure?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't make it so blamed complicated. Assuming you are beginning with the usual pre-sets, run the motor (on a boat, on the lake) at full speed. Adjust the high speed knob for best operation. Usual method is turn it clockwise till it starts to falter, then back out till it smooths out. Slow down to idle and do the same for the slow speed. Once set to your satisfaction, leave them alone!. Now, was that hard?