1962 Custom Craft Sun Ray with 80 HP I/O

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked this up and was wondering if anyone have seen one like it before or could tell me more about the 80 hp West Bend inboard. It's in great shape just needed a little paint and should be on the water soon.
westbend001.jpg

westbend003.jpg

westbend006.jpg

westbend019.jpg

onedaatmc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1962 Custom Craft Sun Ray with 80 HP I/O

Wow what a cool boat ! Good Luck with the restoration ! :) are those holes in the bow for lights or torpedoes ? :D

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know of a good source for dash replacement? Or ever attempt to do one that can give me some pointers?
westbend043.jpg

westbend042.jpg

westbend041.jpg

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got most of the white sprayed today, I still got the fins and rear deck to do.
customcraft010.jpg

customcraft009.jpg

customcraft012.jpg

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

You should name it Hammerhead.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Is it still bad luck when the old name is faded? The bear on the side reminds me of a ballerina.:)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very cool looking boat.

Is that a two blade prop.?
Are those hydraulic cylinders tucked in the gimbal thing?

If money wasn't too big an issue I would try to bring the current I/O combo back to service. Its probably easier to re power with a merc combo. They are common and can be had for not too many $$.

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it's a two blade brass prop.
No hydraulics.
The motor was completely rebuilt 15 years ago and never ran. I dumped couple oz of 2-cycle in each cyl. and turned over by hand and it's nice and free, seems to have good compression. It has new fuel tanks and fuel pump from the rebuild thats never had fuel in them so I don't believe I will have a problem with the carbs. I will know more this weekend when I finish the wiring.
Thanks for the comments. It's is a neat project.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haven,t seen one of those in years. Cool boat.
Keep the pixs coming.:)

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I going to attempt the dash myself. Anyone have any pointers? Here is couple pictures, the wood was shot so I stripped it all out and installing new. Can you sew marine vinyl with a regular household sewing machine?
customcraft013.jpg

customcraft014.jpg

customcraft015.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

When I replaced my "dash" wood I used a PVC trim board from Lowes. It was very easy to work with, looked great and will never rot.

mrfixit57

Recruit

When I replaced my "dash" wood I used a PVC trim board from Lowes. It was very easy to work with, looked great and will never rot.

Cool boat! I have been running the Sharko for 19 years, off and on. Big mistake is not draining the lower unit. I just took it apart and hope the bearings are generic enough to get. Mine was installed in my '61 Thompson Cuddy. With that boat it ought to really move! As soon as I downsize some pics I can show you my Datsun 1600 truck engine cloned to it, as the engine as is was worn out and ate me out of house and home in gas and oil! But that system should work great in yours, I am more of a cruiser. Jim

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool boat! I have been running the Sharko for 19 years, off and on. Big mistake is not draining the lower unit. I just took it apart and hope the bearings are generic enough to get. Mine was installed in my '61 Thompson Cuddy. With that boat it ought to really move! As soon as I downsize some pics I can show you my Datsun 1600 truck engine cloned to it, as the engine as is was worn out and ate me out of house and home in gas and oil! But that system should work great in yours, I am more of a cruiser. Jim

I would love more info on your Datsun engine and some pictures too.

mrfixit57

Recruit

Been awhile as I did not use my boat for awhile. She is now up and running after a good refit, been 20 years since last one. Datsun got rebuilt along with cleaning up odds and ends, paint, etc. I installed a marine alternator, used copper tubing to surround the exhaust manifold along with surrounding it in soft aluminum sheeting. The cooling system still uses the water pump from the Sharkomatic but it feeds a cooler and reservoir I made out of 4" brass pipe, brass plate for baffles, and copper tubing. The connection to the Shark uses the support ring from the transmission (used a chainsaw to cut it off the bell housing and a router with end mill on a glass dinette table to true it up) Better late than never!

Attachments

• underway3.JPG
    underway3.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Datsun2.JPG
    Datsun2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Datsun3.JPG
    Datsun3.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Datsun 1.JPG
    Datsun 1.JPG