1960 75hp lower unit/seals

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice
this is a 2 part question.....<br /><br />I have water in the gearcase of the 75 starflite I'm working on. I have the Seloc manual which covers a variety of motors. all is going well till I get to the driveshaft.<br />
lowerunit.jpg
it says not to remove the bearing housing shown in picture that it could be damaged.<br />The book says clamp the shaft in a vise and drive the lower unit down off the shaft.then in a picture on the next page it shows the 1960 shaft still in place with the bearing housing removed and the bearings are held in place with a washer and clip. I guess my question is what is my next move with this?<br /><br /><br />question 2 is...<br /><br />its says I need special tools to replace the seal in the rear of the lower unit on the prop shaft. It says to just buy the whole assembly. well I don't think I will be able to find that. What do I do about the rear seal?<br /><br />Thank you all your help<br />Ralphw

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 75hp lower unit/seals

On the 1960 model, remove those four bolts, then simply pry that cap off. THat will allow you to get at the seal.<br /><br />The rear seal.... same process. Remove the four screws, pry the end cap off to gain access to the seal.<br /><br />The driveshaft on that model has a roller bearing pressed on the shaft, and that bearing is held down (in place) with a snap ring. To remove the driveshaft, one needs to remove the cap, then the snap ring, and then and only then can one remove the driveshaft.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe. I'm glad I didn't whack it with a hammer like it said.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Ok took it off no problem.<br /><br />
cap1.jpg
<br />
cap2.jpg
<br /><br />What’s that little round spring loaded thing on the left for?<br /><br />the seal was very worn to the point of being sloppy on the shaft, what do I do just pry that out?<br /><br /><br />as far as the rear seal goes...the screws are large slotted ones. I got 2 loose, but the other 2 are not budging? Any secrets here? I don't want to strip them out? Can I heat them?<br /><br />thanks again. I very very much appreciate it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That small spring thing is a spring loaded vent. It eliminates any possibility of a pressure build up within the lower unit. As time went by though, in the later models, it was found that it really wasn't a needed item.<br /><br />Those large slotted screws.... purchase a hand held impact screwdriver tool. This tool will accept sockets and various screwdriver tips. It's a much needed tool when working on outboards. It'll remove those screws like they were installed yesterday.<br /><br />The seal...... yes, just pry it out or punch it out, whichever is feasible. Apply a thin coat of sealer on the outer edge of the seal when installing it.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe......<br /><br />I got the 3rd one. But really worried I stripped the 4th one. it still has some grab but not much.<br /><br /> I will see if I can get ahold of one tomorrow.<br /> :mad: <br /><br />
mfscrew.jpg

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Joe is that an electric one or one you hit with a hammer?<br /><br />thanks again.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

he's talking about the one that looks like a fat screwdriver and you smack it with a hammer

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

well, I got the impact driver and it worked like it should. only thing is......the screw just keeps turning and doesn't come out.....<br />did i ruin my lower unit? something broke...not sure it its the screw ot the casting. anyone ever had this happen?<br /><br />EDITED______________________________________<br /><br />ok nothing appeared to break... the part that the screws attach to just dropped away and thats why it just kept turning.<br /><br />once again thank you for your support :) <br /><br />onward and upward

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

ok. I have the bearing cap off. If I would of looked more closly at the pictures in the book I would of seen the retaining ring in there.<br /><br />My next step is to seperate the parts of th e bearing cap.<br /><br />I noticed 4 extra holes in the face of the cap, green arrows. I assume I would thread bolts in there to push the cap apart. T<br />here is nothing in my manual about this procedure.<br />
bearingcap1.jpg
bearingcap2.jpg
bearingcap3.jpg
<br /><br />TY