1957 Johnson 35hp

starsire79

Cadet
Hello! this is my first post in this section...I have decided I needed new projects and picked up a 1955 Johnson 10hp and a 1957 Johnson 35hp. My question today is about the 35hp motor. The tiller handle on it is stuck in the fast position and I cannot turn it. I have been spraying it down with wd40 to loosen it up but so far not so good. It is just the tiller handle portion that is stuck though...I can rotate the rest of the linkage by hand and it turns fine. Any ideas how to unstick this? BTW this motor was sitting out in a field for god knows how long...what can I say I like a challenge!

starsire79

Cadet
Re: 1957 Johnson 35hp

alright the tiller arm is broken so that solves one question I have controls for it too so not a big deal... I started tearing into this motor a little more and noticed that they PO put in the wrong spark plugs (autolights 2634's) they were hitting the piston which bent the end of the plugs. the pistons look ok no noticeable scarring from looking through the SP hole. but they are covered in black sludge. Am I in trouble here or is some buildup normal with these motors? I have not done a compression check yet because I have the top end off due to a bad coil and clogged carb as well. should I take the head off and clean em up or just leave it for now and fix the other stuff then come back to it?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't pull the head, unless you have too. Buy some Sea Faom and do a de-carb on the motor. For future reference, if you have a stuck tiller handle, it's best to fully dis-assemble it and clean it thoroughly. Then put it back together, with fresh new grease on the moving parts. You'll be amazed at how well they work after that. Forcing things usually ends up in breakage, unfortunately.

starsire79

Cadet

well here is the deal with the tiller. There is a missing tooth on the gear (like that when I got it) and the gear on the handle is sitting too close to the handle to engage the rest of the gears on the engine side. I did notice I can push in the grip and the gear will come very close to being able to link with the other set of gears. (is this how it is supposed to work?)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes and you also want to make sure the gears are messed right. There are two large gaps, one on each side, that are supposed to be messed together. A missing tooth, won't be a problem. When your tiller is down, all the other teeth will mesh with each other.

starsire79

Cadet

ok thanks I got the tiller working again. the PO had it hooked up to controls (which I have and seem to be in good working condition) and the tiller was frozen from lack of use. greased it up and is working good now. The motor has been sitting in a field for the last few years I have ordered a carb kit, coils condensers and points as well as an impellar any other maintenance things I should do before trying to fire it up? Also at some point later an electric start option was added to it. I have the choke solenoid and the wires to it, the starter, and the battery but no ignition switch. Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can see how an ignition switch should be wired to the rest of the starter assembly?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my 35 hp gale 1960, I used a universal ignition switch, a three post solenoid, like for a lawn mower or old ford, a push button switch for the choke. neg cable to motor frame, pos cable to solenoid on 1 big post, pos cable from other big post to starter, wire from ign switch to pos batterypost, another wire from ign switch to small post on solenoid. for the choke wire from choke solenoid to button, other wire on button to pos battery post. this should work. back of ign. switch should have posts marked. choke button is used to also kill engine. can also add a kill button if desired with wires to ground out points, another thing I almost forgot was to ground the solenoid to the motor. This is the way I did it, but sure others might have a better way or different opinion. Hope this helps, the kill switch info was from book called cheap outboards, good book.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

here is a good wiring diagram. Whatever you do, do not wire your motor up, to put power to the coils. You'll nuke them out faster than you can fart. A kill switch would be good, to run to the dash board.

starsire79

Cadet

I don't think the diagram attached :( but I would love it if you could do it again!