1956 30hp Evinrude Lower Unit Question

Johnathan

Cadet
I have acquired a 30hp motor that has to my knowledge not been run since 1970 the last year it wass registered. <br />I am new to this motorboating..... Maintenance manual on order... Engine did not run when I got it. after cleaning and setting points, filling the lower unit with gear oil recommended by the local boat dealer, filling a 55gal drum with water this baby popped right over and idles smoothly (the neighbor says) <br /><br />After I was satisfied it was running ok I drained the water drum then thought I would check the lower unit again, well my oil turned a light brownish color .... like water got into it???? <br /><br />Is this Normal Or do I have a problem???

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 30hp Evinrude Lower Unit Question

You probably have a leak in the lower unit. First make sure all the screws are tight. I have a 1957 35horse that leaked also, you can order the lower unit seals on i-boats. Good Luck

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Johnathon, I have a Seloc manual for that engine. I will look anything up you like. Give me a shout.

Johnathan

Cadet

Thad, Thanks for the reply, I thought that seals might be the problem, will check that out when my manual gets here so I know what I am taking apart.<br /><br />Gil009, Thank you kind sir, I appreciate the lookup offer, I do have a manual on the way (me thinks it is) hopefully it will have the info I need to fix. Hope you are not in that storm path!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid we are dead center. We are hoping it runs out of steam before it gets here. Absolute bullseye. We shall c.