1955 Fastwin Evinrude, good model/year?

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings everyone! Newbie here.

I just recieved a '55 15HP Fastwin Evinrude outboard, along with a 14ft aluminum fishing boat, from my Dad. He bought it 5 years ago at a garage sale and just never did anything with it.

Is 1955 a good year for an Evinrude? Anything I should be looking out for in the way of potential trouble or spare parts to have on hand?

Removed cowling and have found what appears to be a brand new (or rebuilt to new like condition) carb/gaskets installed. Plugs are out of the box clean, have never been fired. Wiring, lines and gaskets all look good.

I have no experience with boat motors and so really don't have a clue as to if this motor is worth investing time/money to get it going again. I do know that I would want the pressurized fuel line conversion (to fuel pump) for safety reasons. But other than that I really have no idea or insights about vintage boat motors or how they perform.

If it is a reasonable motor I plan to use it with the fishing boat to make short 1/2 day fishing trips at some local lakes.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1955 Fastwin Evinrude, good model/year?

A '55 aquasonic is a nice motor. I don't know why you say you want the fuel pump for safety reasons unless you've read the absolute nonsense that's going around about the pressurized fuel tanks being "bombs". I use them regularly and they work great. The motor only puts about 8psi on the tank and the tank has a pressure release valve that prevents further pressure from building up. Any tank can be dangerous if the vent is clogged or closed. Modern tanks can build up a heckuva lot more than 8psi if the vent is closed and the tank is left in the sun.
If you don't have a good pressure tank, however, the conversion is a great way to go. I've done two of them and they work as expected.
You should replace your water pump and check for spark with a $6 autozone spark tester before you decide to go for a ride. If the coils are original, there's no chance they're any good. You'll need a $10 harmonic balancer puller and grade 8 bolts to pull the flywheel to replace them,but you can check the coils for cracks/condition by looking in the window in the flywheel. There's a little cover on the flywheel held on by three screws that you take off and you can set the points and see the coils. If they're cracked or sweaty, they're toast.
Good luck,
JBJ

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

One advantage with a fuel pump is that you can find a fuel tank most anywhere. Most of the original two line tank's will be found badly rusted on the inside, plus exspensive. If out on the water you have a fuel problem, nobody is going to be of much help as to getting back with just a fuel tank, or hose swap.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Since you asked, I'll give you the skinny on the 1955 15hp. A few of them had a serious problem with the lower crankshaft seal. There was a stainless steel ring on the shaft that the seal rode on. That ring would split and fall off, then the seal didn't seal a darn thing and water would get in the powerhead and destroy everything.

After the factory discovered the problem through a pile of warranty repair jobs, they changed the crankshaft, eliminating the ring, and the seal rode on the shaft itself. That kind is ok.

And of course there is the "except". Except it is a crummy seal. So, even if you have the redesigned crank, I advise you to replace the seal whether it needs it or not.

I know because I was there doing the warranty repairs.

Attachments

• 12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    12hp Gale lower seal 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you jbjennings, R.Johnson and F_R! Wow! Thanks so much for the advice and tips. Looks like I will need to do some more verification and discovery to see just what condition my condition is in!:D

I called my father and he still has the original fuel tank/lines that have been stored in a weather tight storage building. He just forgot to put it in with the boat/motor. Wouldn't hurt to look at it to see if it qualifies for restoration or not. To be honest, I did come acroos some 'flame on' type stories about the pressurized tanks and, while I do like a really good grill, didn't want to have a similar experience.

That being said, I remember the years I spent with an old fishing buddy from Maine, he an old 9hp Merc that once it was pumped up....it would just run and run and run. We fished many a lake (back in the 70's) and caught many a fish with that little boat/motor and not once did we have to be towed back to the ramp. :) It was a sweet running combo (on small lakes) for sure.

The lower crankshaft seal does sound troublesome...and I am glad you said something about it. I hope I have the ringless version of that seal. I will add it to the check and replace list.

This motor reminds me of some of the old tractors I've seen sitting along side some rural roads. They look pretty darn good, but you really don't know what you've got until you start getting into them. I like the looks of the vintage outboards and enjoy tinkering around with things anyway. I mess around with old tube radio sets from the 40's just because they come from a time when things were not made to be thrown away, they're great examples of American craftsmanship and ingenuity, and many work as good as they day they were made.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'll report back and post a few photos as things progress!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The old twin line tanks were nice, only if you want to restore an antique and keep it original, like jbjennings has done a great job of doing with his classics. However, boaters of today want to be practical and have something dependable. Most of the time, (which accounts for 98% of the time), if you're selling one of these antiques, prospective buyers turn their noses up at them and not realize the dependability they still have, once properly tuned. So, another point I would like to make, if your twin line tank is in nice condition, feel free to use it, but if it ever goes tits up on you, you'll find that it is cheaper to convert your motor to a single line system, than it is to restore the twin line system. Also, you may want to check your local marine board or coast guard regulations, to see if the twin line tanks are still legal to operate with.:cool:

Huron Angler

Admiral

I got a '55 Johnson 5.5hp(pretty similar to the 15hp Evinrude) as a gift and I agree, it is a very reliable motor.

It had been tuned and lower unit resealed before it was given to me and the thing starts one the first or second pull every time. Perfect for my 12' Aerocraft fishing rig.

I am careful to vent the tank regularly but it came with two tanks and I plan on using them for a while.

I agree with all the previous posts as well. Good luck with the motor:)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, myself, I would feel just as safe about running a 1956 Evinrude 5.5, 7.5, 10, 15, or 30 out on the lake, as anything new. If these oldies are tuned properly and well cared for, they are still very reliable and start on the first pull.:cool:

jbjennings

Captain

Just a note:
My dad went duck hunting the other morning and his 2008 model yamaha 25hp wouldn't crank. It's been giving him trouble lately. I don't know if it's the kill switch circuit or a dirty carb. because he won't bring it over to the house and I refuse to work on it at the lake.:D Also parked at our camp was my '99 johnson 30hp (very little gas in the tank), and my '56 Arkansas traveler aluminum boat with my '55 10hp johnson. He used my 30hp, but I later came out in my '55 10hp (which invariably cranks on the first or 2nd pull no matter how cold it is outside---usually the first), and he was forced to ride in that between blinds due to low gas...... I loved it! He's always making fun of my old motors!
I find them TOTALLY reliable. I like the quietness of a newer motor, but I believe the older ones are easier to keep in good shape and therefore more reliable. And if a coil goes out, you can get home on one cylinder--if a new motor's powerpack goes out, you're paddling home!:(
BTW, I like my tanks but have been lucky enough to get good ones with no rust. You can buy a dual line tank rebuild for 25$ which is why I went that route, and because I personally like the dual line tanks just because they work good and most of the young punks around here don't know how they work and I can annoy them by acting like I don't know either. I have NO qualms about rigging a fuel pump. I like original, but I don't mind IMPROVING things as well. I wish I could find a decent suspension to put under my '53 gmc!
Just my opinion,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Way to go JBJ!

I have over a dozen pressure tanks ands never a problem. The most I have had to do is to replace the O rings in the connector and they're all good to go.

I ran my first 15 this summer and really liked it. I usually run 18's.

And 1946Zephyr, I have never heard anything like this "Also, you may want to check your local marine board or coast guard regulations, to see if the twin line tanks are still legal to operate with." have you actually heard this? Sounds like the same propaganda as exploding pressure tanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I have never heard of a dual line tank being "illegal" anywhere. That's definitely a new one to me...

Rebuilding rebuilding a pressure tank is usually cheaper than converting to fuel pump - not sure where you're looking for your rebuild kits... vintageoutboard.com has them fairly inexpensively. A lot less expensive than tracking down a bypass cover, fuel pump, fuel fittings, another tank, etc.

And... the motors are almost always worth MORE if you offer it for sale with an original dual line tank than if it has a cobbled together conversion with a cheap plastic tank...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, I have actually been told about this by marinas and other boaters. Some "water cops" like to frown on them as well. As I can see it, there has to be some reason, why they were only produced for 10 years (1949 - 1959)and the single line systems produced for 50. Maybe OMC found that they are better sytems than the old. Myself, I haven't had any qualms about the old pressure tanks and all the old motors I had with them, ran just fine, but, most people out there who has a nice one has been able to get up $100 apiece for them, whereas a good used single line tank can easily be obtained for about 5 or 10 bucks. Besides which, if you're out in your 16 foot cabin cruiser and you want to take the fuel line off your 150 Johnson and hook it to your little 6 hp, you can easily do that or like R.Johnson said earlier in this post, you can easily obtain a single line tank from somebody, should yours fail.:cool:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Where can you find single line tanks for $5 or $10? I need some!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I seen them at garage sales and I used to get them at Oregon Outboard Salvage, when they were open. I imagine that if you post a want ad on craigslist, or look on ebay, or aomci, you'll find plenty. They are cheaper and more obtainable than the old twin line tanks. Shoot, half the boaters out there now, don't even know what one of them twin line tanks go to anymore.:D:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I watch the ad's regularly here and rarely see em under $50. I have 10-15 pressure tanks and probably 2-3 single line tanks! I need more!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It's possible that we just have a lot more of them over here on the West coast. It's possible that you have bunches of twin line tanks, because everyone has switched. ;) I'm willing to bet, that if you post a want ad on the AOMCI website, you should get some responses. A couple months ago, I had a boat given to me, that had like 3 of them in it. Unfortunately, I had to throw them out, because they were to rusted out, which kinda sucks, because I got a 6hp Johnson and a 25hp Evinrude in the deal. Well, I at least have one OMC single line tank and I have a plastic one, that just needs a nipple put in it, so I can hook up a line. Unfortunately, the threads are stripped out, so I'm going to try and find a plastic nipple and superglue it in. I wished Oregon Outboard Salvage was still in business, because I could go there and buy a few of these tanks for cheap.:cool:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I watch the ad's regularly here and rarely see em under $50. I have 10-15 pressure tanks and probably 2-3 single line tanks! I need more!

Me too, cheapest plastic used aftermarket was $35. Samo_ott and I read the same ads.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, you guys are up in Canada. Everything is more expensive up there, because there is less of everything available. A good used outboard motor is probably twice as much as it is here:cool: