18ft bayrunner mods to make sea worthy

ironman022

Cadet
i have a 18ft valco bayrunner 1984. i live on the oregon coast and been putting around the bay. I have been hearing that my boat in good weather would do fine in the ocean. i would like to know if anyone knows of some modifications that i could do to make it more sea worthy. transum hight? then i would have to exend the motor back? any sugetions.

Attachments

• jbayrunner.jpg
    jbayrunner.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 18ft bayrunner mods to make sea worthy

There isn't anything you can do to increase the seaworthiness of the hull without compromising it in some other way. It's made to be safe and comfortable within certain limits. If you want a more seaworthy boat, buy one instead of trying to engineer your own. That said, most any boat can go in any water when it's calm.

First, you need to use common sense. Stay close to shore, keep a close eye on forecasts and know enough to spot deteriorating conditions. Act quickly (head in) at the first hint that wind and waves are kicking up.

Second, you need to raise your level of preparedness. Always wear a PFD. File a float plan anytime you plan to head out. Put together a ditch bag and keep it close at hand. Additional battery(ies), bilge pump(s), GPS, VHF radio with DSC, connected to the GPS. A second, hand-held VHF radio. 'Upscale' items might include an 8-10 hp kicker motor and an EPIRB.

Others will have more ideas.

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

John's right. You can't really modify the boat to make it more seaworthy. His suggestions about safety equipment are important, but don't afffect the boat.
With a boat like that, the focus is on two things: (a) keeping water out, and (b)getting water out if it gets in.

a. On some boats, a bow cover or spray dodger can help but only if it diverts the spray overboard. I doubt you could add anything to yours. Do your chines at the rear send spray away from the hull? how about the rails outside under the gunwales? that may be something you can safely add. Also, use your trim/tilt to keep the bow high when needed.

b. Can you run that boat with the plug out? Tinnies I had in the past had the large rubber plugs in the bilge well you could reach from inside. That helps. If not, consider a second bilge pump (you do have one, on a float switch, I hope.)

The most important factor is your skill. Practice running in bad conditions, but close to shore and help. Find a windy but warm summer day and practice. Practice against large boat wakes. Learn to deal with (and respect) following seas as they can be deceptively more dangerous. Learn to turn around in the middle of bad stuff. Risky? sure. But it's the only way to learn. I got most of my rough water skills during my teens when I took incredibly stupid risks in small boats/big water.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

. I got most of my rough water skills during my teens when I took incredibly stupid risks in small boats/big water.

This is a conversation I've had with some of the 'old salts' I boat with via my membership in the US Power Squadron. I only started boating a few years ago, and I'm much too cautious in my old age to take the risks that would make me as good a boater as they are. There's something to be said for being young and stupid, provided you survive it. I did my stupid stuff in cars, and I know a lot about the limits of a vehicle and how to get the most out of it.

My .02

(a little off topic, but HC's comment struck a chord)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

IMO, 18' is too small of a boat for you to take into the Pacific. If it wasn't, you'd have already done it. It has as much to do with the Captain's confidence in himself, and his abilities, if not more then the boat's. And remember, it's usually not the ocean that's the tough part, it's the inlets.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Like the others have said, when on the ocean it just depends on the weather that day.

The bigger issue on the WA and OR coast is getting in and out of the bay, this is where it gets tricky.

Which bay will you be in?

ironman022

Cadet

Like the others have said, when on the ocean it just depends on the weather that day.

The bigger issue on the WA and OR coast is getting in and out of the bay, this is where it gets tricky.

Which bay will you be in?

Coos bay.