1802WA Battery Question

briansae

Cadet
This is my first season with a 2008 Trophy 1802WA. Love the boat but have been experiencing some battery issues. I had the dealer install a Clarion Marine stereo/CD player and I installed the depth finder. If I don't turn the battery switch off, the battery slowly dies over about a week's time. Also, just recently I stayed out on the water all night- anchor light was on all night, used the CD player for a few hours. In the morning the battery was dead. Hard to believe that a battery that size could be drained so quickly by an anchor light and a CD player. The dealer thinks the stereo clock is what drains the battery when not using the boat. They suggest turning the battery off when not using the boat and now they are suggesting installing a dual battery system. My question- do you think that is necessary or do you think there is an electrical short someplace? Can a light really drain a battery that quick?

ecrudolph

Cadet
Re: 1802WA Battery Question

Draining over 1 week sounds quick. What is the rating on the battery? I switched to a deep cylce only as I only run one battery. I got the biggest that Walmart had and the battery takes a couple of weeks to drain. The CO sensor also runs constantly so that will drain the battery as well. I turn the battery off when I think of it to slow the drain. I will be installing a second battery if I do not buy a bigger boat this year.

Eric
2005 Trophy 1802

briansae

Cadet

Not sure how big the battery is, but I bought a back up to keep on board- same exact battery from a different marina. I'm in the habit of turning the battery off when not using the boat- very convenient having the switch behind. However, I'm concerned that when staying on the water overnight, leaving the anchor light on all night, that it's killing the battery. Also, I removed the carbon monoxide detector, thinking that was the original culprit.

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2302 and it was ordered with a dual battery system, No.# 1 battery was for starting. and was a cranking batt. no.#2 is for a house batt. ( all electronics when motor not running) well it took only about a yr for me to kill the cranking batt. the CO-2 sensor will kill that batt. alone after about a wk. So I replaced it with a dual purpose batt. you could only run down a cranking batt. so many times before it quits altogether. I use my boat for over nights with the wife often,and didn't want to worry about killing the one house batt. so I also replaced my house batt. from 1, 24 to 2, 27's for more time on my electronics and bait well. so now I have a dual purpose cranking batt. on no# 1, and 2, 27's paralleled to no # 2 and a good 3 stage battery charger to keep up with them and all is great now.

LukeB

Cadet

I would seriously check if the dealer did the wiring correctly on the stereo. I never had battery problems until I installed my stereo (pioneer) I just spliced both power wires together and ran to power. My bad. Dead battery was the result after 5 days. The instructions state that one of the power wires must run to a switchable power source like the ignition or an accessory switch and the other directly to power or battery will be drained. And they were right. Go figure, LOL I seperated the two wires and ran them according to directions and have not had a problem since. Check their work.
Luke

briansae

Cadet

think you are probably right about the stereo. i can use it when the keys aren't in the ignition, which means that is wired directly to the battery. but, what would kill the battery? the clock? maybe when it's wired to an accessory switch or the ignition, the clock isn't displayed..... definitely something to think about. I guess when you think about it- leave a light on in your car all night and the battery is usually dead in the morning. an anchor light is probably enough to run a battery down also. thanks for the tip.

ecrudolph

Cadet

I would reconnect the CO sensor as well, especially if you are spending the night on the hook. Too many people die each year on boats due to CO issues, it doesn't have to only come from your boat.

Eric
2005 Trophy 1802

GOINtoHELL

Recruit

Try putting the C.O detector on it's own toggle switch so you can turn it off.
I did this with mine and no more dead batteries. I do have a dual battery setup though.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try using a chem light ( glow sticks)...tie it on your antennae in place of running the anchor light (it may not be legal but it works)

briansae

Cadet

The battery problem ending up being a faulty voltage regulator on the engine. Essentially the engine wasn't charging the battery when it was running. That was the third problem I had with the engine- brand new this year! Somewhat dissappointed with Mercury....