16' Welcraft '160 Fisherman' taking on water

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everybody-

I've read a few of the posts here about taking on water, but couldn't find one that seemed related to my situation

I have a 1999 16' welcraft CC. Last time I had it out, a guy suggested that I check the boat because he thought it was sitting low in the water and he thought looked like it may be taking on water. I looked in the bildge, and it was empty. I do have some through hull fittings for my livewell, so I'm concerned that water is getting in that way, but is trapped in the area that surrounds the bildge.

Anybody got any suggestions for what I should try to figure out what is going on?

Thanks-

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 16' Welcraft '160 Fisherman' taking on water

Wellcraft has been building boats for a long time and they are reasonably well designed. I don't think they would design the boat such that water would "trap" anywhere. If you don't see water in the bildge where the bilge pump is then likely you are not taking on any signficant water. I have the 180 version of yours and it looks to sit low as well due to the self-bailling cockpit scuppers and live well drain scupper being right at the waterline.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Possible water logged foam?

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could be wrong but i don't think that Wellcraft is foam filled.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

That makes a lot of sense about why the boat sits so low.

I'm still wondering about the area that surrounds the gas tank. I opened the deck plate under the console where the top of the gas tank is, and I don't see any water there, but was wondering if there could still be some water down there, just not visable under the console. Just a theory. Wish I had something to compare it to, but I just have never seen this type of boat on the water, even the 180 version. I think the stopped making the 160 a while back.

I've seen foam inside the gunnel, but have not seen it anywhere else in the boat.

Thanks again!