'09 Mercury 8hp 4-stroke oil change

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting the trolling motor ready for fishing this year. Purchased a Mercury Service Manual and oil from the local Mercury dealer and started to attack the project. Everything seemed easy enough until I got to replacing the oil drain plug. The Service Manual has no Torque Specs for the oil drain plug. Neither does it say to replace the seal washer with a new one.
Just wondering if this washer is made to use over & over, and what is the torque on the drain plug? First time doing this, and would like to get it right.
Did a search in the Mercury repair section, and the question has been asked before, but no answers. Thanks for anyones help.

fisherman47

Cadet
Re: '09 Mercury 8hp 4-stroke oil change

I just bought a 20hp 4 stoke '10 Mercury. ON mine the manual says to lubricate the gasket on the drain plug reinstall and torque to 210 in. lb. or 17 ft. lb. I haven't done mine yet, but I think the gasket is a rubber o-ring. If it is rubber you can reuse it.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '09 Mercury 8hp 4-stroke oil change

Thanks for the reply. Actually the gasket is metal and looks like a big stainless washer. I did get a reply on another website on Mercurys and he said the torque was 17.7 ft lbs.. So your right in the ballpark about the torque. Thanks for taking the time to answer.