Carbureator Question????

jeckel7234

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I just got a 1965 Johnson Sea Horse 18hp, it hasnt been ran in about 5 or 6 years. I rebuit the carb, and today when i was trying to prime fuel for the first time i noticed fuel was shooting out of a hole on the carb, but ive looked at diagrams of the carb and cannot figure out whats supposed to go in this hole. there is also another spot just beneath it that looks like something should be there but its not.

Attachments

• asdf.jpg
    asdf.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tesdtgf.jpg
    tesdtgf.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Carbureator Question????

I believe there is supposed to be a lead shot there? Has been in most other carbs I have worked on.

Rgds

jeckel7234

Seaman Apprentice

I believe there is supposed to be a lead shot there? Has been in most other carbs I have worked on.

Rgds

lead shot? like lead bb out of a shotgun shell??? the biggest thing that was killing me is a couple diagrams i have seen show nothing, one showed a washer type thing there but no screw to hold it in

lindy46

Captain

Vent/overflow. You need to re-adjust your float. It may be stuck or the needle is not closing properly.

64osby

Admiral

Jekyel, I had just rebuilt the carb on my 18 and it wouldn't run. I was looking at it and saw the same open hole you reference. I pulled out a spare 18 and it was the same. Put that carb on and it ran, rechecked my carb and found some crude in the low speed side. It now runs great.

I have carbs from 10, 7.5 and 5.5 laying around and on those all the holes are plugged.