OMC 800 Stringer How hard to tear down and repair?

vi

Seaman
Hi, I've got a 79 stringer hydro mechanical upper and with a mechanical lower end on it. It looks to be leaking from the upper fill hole while it is tilted up. If it needs seals and such how hard? I've read the Seloc manual is not the best to use, do I need a manual or is it real complicated to tear into and put back together?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: OMC 800 Stringer How hard to tear down and repair?

It is not a first time do it yourself job unless you are really a great wrench turner. And I mean GREAT

If it has salt water use add a couple more greats to it.

asuming it has a gasket or washer on the fill plug?

superbenk

Commander

If it's just leaking at the filler/dip-stick I'd try just replacing the o-ring. It might be dried out and rotten. Is the oil milky? If not it doesnt sound like you have a major leak.

From what I've read of other drive repairs on here, the Stringer seems like one of the easier ones to tear apart. You'll want to be careful about the very thin shims used for proper gear spacing. If they get lost or damaged, you'll need special spacer measurement tools and new shims to replace them that are hard to find & expensive.

zbnutcase

Commander

They are actually one of the more complex drives to work on, and the upper is a PITA to reseal even if you have a press,(for ball gear removal) and the factory seal drivers(no, a socket won't work on some of them,trust me). And the worst part is these uppers always seem to get water in them, very common issue.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same set up on my 1981 stringer. If you pull the upper unit off and have access to a air compressor, make a fitting to screw in the side fill hole, adjust the air regulator to about 5 lbs and paint dish soap around all the seals and top screw. You will find it.
If you plan on tearing it down PM me I have a factory manual and can help with questions.
I tore mine apart when changing the water pump. If your mechanical look at the upper unit as a right angle gear box. Watch your shims and work in a clean place.

superbenk

Commander

If you plan on tearing it down PM me I have a factory manual and can help with questions.

I don't suppose it's digitized (PDF) is it? I know someone who could really use a copy of that :)

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

NO, But when I get back to work I'll try to make a copy.