Need help / advice Johnson 30 Starter Pawl

Geek

Recruit
I have attached a photo of what I am working with and the Pawls... (Click to enlarge)

I found an older photo, but I am desperatly trying to find a photo reference for the exact Pawl placement and position for a 1988 Johnson 30hp Outboard, Model J30RCCE. (Manual Start)

If you can provide me with a url, or location, I would be sincerely and graciousply appreciative!!

(Or if someone can type me through it... Each was I put them on looks incorrect. The old Pawls were destroyed because the first shop I paid to fix the starter did not do a correct job.. So like they always say.. If you want something done right.... Do it yourself... I'm up for the challenge..!)

So from the photo..

1)Do I have the Pawls turned up the correct way (Are the tops of the Pawls facing up)

2)Which way should the offset lip face on each side? (The part that "L's" upwards)

3)And which way do the Pawls go between thepins to the outside of the Pawl (stop?) pins? (The pin to the left and right of each Pawl pin)

Thaks SO much in advance!

Brian

Attachments

• Pawl.JPG
    Pawl.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 5

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help / advice Johnson 30 Starter Pawl

Looks like the lower paul is ready to set on the pin, I think the upper paul needs to be turned over. The springs need to make the pauls swing out to engage flywheel when the recoil is pulled.
I will try to find a picture and post it.
I am sure someone with experience wil come along and help.

Geek

Recruit

So last night, I went to Books-A-Million, and Barnes & Noble to see if they had the Evinrude/Johnson Outboard Manual.. Needless to say, since we are a beach community.. They had almost NOTHING....
This morning, I went to the library for the first time in I don't know how long... The had the Clymer, Evinrude/Johnson Outboard Shop Manual 48hp-235hp, 1973-1990, however all the starter information is electric start and there is no photo reference for the under side of the recoil starter.. So (please) help.. If anyone has a photo reference to a Johnson or Evinrude 25-40hp, recoil starter, bottom (With springs and pawls) I would be more than appreciative as I have exhausted most options outside of purchasing a manual (which i intend to do anyway, however it will wait until next payday).. So yes.. please.. I would appreciate some photo or diagram reference or answers to the three questions.. I sincerely thank you in advance!
-Brian

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The one on the left is correct. The one on the right needs to be flipped over.

Geek

Recruit
New Pics Attached Re: Need helpJohnson 30 Starter Pawl & h2o pump

New Pics Attached Re: Need helpJohnson 30 Starter Pawl & h2o pump

:D I have searched everywhere... Prior to getting the last message, my wife moved the recoil starter and the pawls thus I don't know which was right or wrong.. (Aghh!!)
I have spent HOURS at two book stores, two libraries google and yahoo.. I have found pictures of bottoms of rewind starters with no pawls, one pawl, and three pawls.. But NONE of the Johnson/Evinrude 2 pawl...
(Update) I am an idiot.. I had the picture...

I am attaching new photos... Of the way I "think" the pawls need to go... Does this (minus the springs) look right or wrong?

I have labeled the Pawls as A and B

Attachments

• pawlab.jpg
    pawlab.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • pawla.jpg
    pawla.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4
  • pawlb.jpg
    pawlb.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 5