L drive repair????

screwd over

Recruit
Hey we have a 1990 bayliner L drive that needs some serious work. Can we change it to a 4 stroke, or should we just put in a new motor. Does anyone have any ideas out there???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: L drive repair????

You are very limited in what you can do with that setup.<br />The engine will only work with the L drive.<br />The L drive can only be used with a Force engine.<br /><br />I fyou are going to change to another engine or drive unit, you will need to switch both.<br /><br />Before doing that, you will have to modify and reinforce the engine compartment, and probably enlarge it to hold a larger engine. You would also have to seal up the drive opening in the transom, reinforce it, then cut a new opening for the drive unit you buy.<br /><br />Cheaper and a bit easier would be to remove the motor and drive, reinforce and seal up the transom, then mount a decent outboard engine back there.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you mean by major work? You can get the motor rebuilt if you want to keep the boat. It's pretty simple to work on if you're handy with tools.<br /><br />Is it the drive that needs to be worked on or the motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think even the most ardent Force fan will admit the L drive is a nightmare.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well kinda yea, but i have found that my L drive is a champ when proerly maintained. just ytake care of it relgously. no **** i check the oil in the unit every 4 times i go out. and i spend about 30-45 minutes cleaning it and washing downa fter every trip. but thats in the ocean. over all i have no quals at this current time.