Early EZ Shift outdrive questions

63fiberform

Cadet
so I got the donor boat here pulled the motor and outdrive and noticed the transom was really rotted on one side and one of my bolts snapped off pretty easy. how screwed am I? center left long bolt missing atleast an inch. any advice appreciated. I definitely see why everyone says just re power since you have to do all that work anyways haha

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
so I got the donor boat here pulled the motor and outdrive and noticed the transom was really rotted on one side and one of my bolts snapped off pretty easy. how screwed am I? center left long bolt missing atleast an inch. any advice appreciated. I definitely see why everyone says just re power since you have to do all that work anyways haha
how screwed you are depends on how well it comes off the transom. If there is still some stub showing on the other side, it could be a heat and remove type deal, if not, you are looking at likely drilling and rethreading the hole. Both will be a PITA, but still a LOT cheaper than a full on new repower.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Transom rotted on your boat or the donor?

63fiberform

Cadet
also now that I have those 6 bolts out should the unit be free? seems secured still.
Transom rotted on your boat or the donor?
the donor boat was rotted and had a lot of corrosion on the transom bolts, I got all of them out minus the one bolt =/. the boat I am trying to get back together is pretty solid all things considered.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
also now that I have those 6 bolts out should the unit be free? seems secured still.

the donor boat was rotted and had a lot of corrosion on the transom bolts, I got all of them out minus the one bolt =/. the boat I am trying to get back together is pretty solid all things considered.
That snapped bolt should just pull out, or drive it out from the outside. No threads in the housings. At that point nothing but 40 years holding it on.

63fiberform

Cadet
there is a bit of stud showing through on the other side, I should be able to get it out. unfortunately I broke the top part off the transom plate haha, got one coming in a week guess I need to slow down a bit when its this corroded

nola mike

Vice Admiral
there is a bit of stud showing through on the other side, I should be able to get it out. unfortunately I broke the top part off the transom plate haha, got one coming in a week guess I need to slow down a bit when its this corroded
I think I was wrong on which bolt we were talking about... Was this one of the middle bolts or the lower?