Bravo 3 Shifting Issue

Howdy. Bravo 3 wont shift forward or reverse however prop spins freely both ways like its in neutral. I checked the cables all looked ok. Drive was removed and I couldn’t find FWD manually shifting the fork of course while spinning the shaft. I can find reverse no problem. If I play with the shift fork I can just barely find FWD, but not how its supposed to be. Strange thing is when I install the drive, I cannot find reverse using the shifter, but I can manually no problem witht the drive off. Believe the drive is bad, but anything particular I can further inspect? How difficult is it rebuilding these? I’ve read it could possibly be a bad shift fork or clutch cones however not much information on how to inspect them.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy and welcome aboard

The bravo is not done like a Alpha. Alpha's have to be put in foward when installed, bravo is removed and installed in neutral. There is also a latch on the drive side that is latched in place on the shift cable just before the drive fully makes contact with bell housing

tpenfield

Staff member
I've taken my Bravo outdrives apart a couple of times. Once was to replace seals and some bearings, the other time was to fix a delayed shift. The shifting is done in the top part of the drive, so you can disassemble the upper and hopefully see what is wrong.

Check the basics first, like shift cable/linkage, etc.

Get the Bravo service manual. Get the special tools. for the upper (castle retaining ring . . . and there might be 1 or 2 others)

Howdy and welcome aboard

The bravo is not done like a Alpha. Alpha's have to be put in foward when installed, bravo is removed and installed in neutral. There is also a latch on the drive side that is latched in place on the shift cable just before the drive fully makes contact with bell housing
Yes the drive was installed while in neutral and I made sure the latch was locked on the cable before full assembly.

I've taken my Bravo outdrives apart a couple of times. Once was to replace seals and some bearings, the other time was to fix a delayed shift. The shifting is done in the top part of the drive, so you can disassemble the upper and hopefully see what is wrong.

Check the basics first, like shift cable/linkage, etc.

Get the Bravo service manual. Get the special tools. for the upper (castle retaining ring . . . and there might be 1 or 2 others)
I already own a service manual and have briefly glanced at what would be involved however Im curious if anyone could steer me in the right direction to what else I should check on the drive side before complete drive disassembly.

tpenfield

Staff member
I already own a service manual and have briefly glanced at what would be involved however I'm curious if anyone could steer me in the right direction to what else I should check on the drive side before complete drive disassembly.
When you have the drive off, just make sure you are getting proper movement of the lower shift cable and that the fitting in the bell housing is tight.

alldodge

Staff member
If cables do move, remove the back off the upper section (should drain lube a bit down first) and see if the latch is moving the shift lever and clutch cam