Never owned a boat!

Thinking of buying a

2000 26′ Monterey “262 Cruiser with a dry weight of 6,600 lbs. I own a 2007 two-wheel drive Yukon XL flex fuel V8 max tow 7,200 GWR I believe. Can I get away with this vehicle for launch and recovery?​

briangcc

Commander
You're forgetting a few key pieces of information....

That's dry...no gas, no batteries, no safety gear, no anchors, nada, zero, zip. All that "stuff" weighs something. Gas alone probably puts you over 7200 lbs. Then there's the trailer its sitting on. Probably double if not triple axle right? That weighs something too.

Or to put it bluntly....you're over your rating, time for a tow vehicle upgrade.

You're forgetting a few key pieces of information....

That's dry...no gas, no batteries, no safety gear, no anchors, nada, zero, zip. All that "stuff" weighs something. Gas alone probably puts you over 7200 lbs. Then there's the trailer its sitting on. Probably double if not triple axle right? That weighs something too.

Or to put it bluntly....you're over your rating, time for a tow vehicle upgrade.
Gas I can do that at the dock, along with potable water and the anchors and safety gear can be brought on board later while its moored pier side! I'm in San Diego So all these services are available at two marinas with a free launch ramp.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gas I can do that at the dock, along with potable water and the anchors and safety gear can be brought on board later while its moored pier side! I'm in San Diego So all these services are available at two marinas with a free launch ramp.
how are you going to get the safety gear to the dock, because you will have exceeded your GVW? you need a smaller boat or a larger tow vehicle.

dry weight 6600#
weight of trailer #1500 (2 5000# axles)
weight of gear #600
weight of fuel ~ 900#
weight of fresh water ~ 300#
weight of black water ~ 150#

Just the boat and the trailer put you over your towing capacity and at your GVW

I would not tow that boat with my 2014 GMC 1500 with 9600# towing capacity

briangcc

Commander

I get it. No one likes to hear their vehicle isn't up to the challenge but in this instance...you're putting a large cart behind a shetland pony. It isn't going to end well.

And even IF you have a second vehicle cart all that required gear for you, you are going to be making several trips from the lot to the boat. That gets very old, very quickly. Btdt with a simple 5 gallon gas can on a wobbly dock.

That's ignoring the fact that once launched, that boat isn't starting as it has no batteries or gas onboard.

IF you absolutely positively MUST have this boat, then my suggestion is this....talk to the marina and arrange for outdoor storage, year round. Also pay for launch/retrieval service. Remove your 15yr old, underpowered, underrated vehicle from the equation.

aspeck

Staff member
Hmmmm, never owned a boat before ... how much experience do you have boating? That is a lot of boat for a first boat. How much towing experience do you have? Even if the vehicle was enough for the boat/trailer/gear, that is a lot of boat to be towing to and from the launch ramp plus launch and retrieval. Definitely either consider a smaller boat for your first one, or if you have to get that boat, look for a much heavier tow vehicle.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many marinas no longer allow fueling at your dock. Major safety concerns, you must use their fuel dock or fuel up elsewhere. Most marinas in my are, and told that this becomming the rules all over, no filling your boat at dock from portable gas cans...

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
You may also think about stopping. Towing capacity of a vehicle includes braking power, tire size and 2 or 4 wheel drive. Also boat trailers have brakes, some drum, some disc. Some even work, as they are not always serviced by owners.

how are you going to get the safety gear to the dock, because you will have exceeded your GVW? you need a smaller boat or a larger tow vehicle.

dry weight 6600#
weight of trailer #1500 (2 5000# axles)
weight of gear #600
weight of fuel ~ 900#
weight of fresh water ~ 300#
weight of black water ~ 150#

Just the boat and the trailer put you over your towing capacity and at your GVW

I would not tow that boat with my 2014 GMC 1500 with 9600# towing capacity
When the Navy launches ships, they don't launch them it with full gear fuel and water. I know because I have served on eight of them. I've been through more yard periods that I would care to count. So black water you dump prior to pulling in there are many service stations. Trailer weight 3,000 lbs gear thats a separate trip own three cars not a problem! fuel once again pier side. dry wight 6600.

I get it. No one likes to hear their vehicle isn't up to the challenge but in this instance...you're putting a large cart behind a shetland pony. It isn't going to end well.

And even IF you have a second vehicle cart all that required gear for you, you are going to be making several trips from the lot to the boat. That gets very old, very quickly. Btdt with a simple 5 gallon gas can on a wobbly dock.

That's ignoring the fact that once launched, that boat isn't starting as it has no batteries or gas onboard.

IF you absolutely positively MUST have this boat, then my suggestion is this....talk to the marina and arrange for outdoor storage, year round. Also pay for launch/retrieval service. Remove your 15yr old, underpowered, underrated vehicle from the equation.
Nope according to the fuel and water report tanks are to be kept at a minimum to the dock! Surely you read your *' o' clock reports sir! Just because I never owned a boat doesn't mean I have not stood helm, or nav plot! So yeah, it's possible with the vehicle I have that's rated right at 8,000 pounds. but I would have to be very careful about my weight and go to the scales and make sure my load distribution is just right! Outdoor storage: I own land so I'm trying to cut on that expense otherwise I would pay the $800 a month docking fee. Would most likely drop it once a weekend and retrieve it on a Monday. So, I would only load fuel for the weekends transit and then turns screws just to bring my liquid weight down just enough for retrieval, after pumping waste at the station. last I checked a battery was lighter than a fifty cal. which I won't be using anymore so don't have to worry about that one. I wonder how many batteries this sucker has onboard. that is an excellent point and life vests are inflatable. So that leaves the anchor but most of the weight is in the chain.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well, your mind is made up, and you are hoping someone will give you the Answer you want to hear that confirms your line of thought. You can tow whatever you want, with whatever you want. But if there is an Incident, and the Insurance company(s) does its Diligence, and they will, you might find yourself in a Sh**load of Liability Problems. Add LE into the equation, and you will be wishing there was a Time Machine around

tpenfield

Staff member
Only having 2 WD is probably the biggest issue. Even with minimal fuel and gear aboard your launch and retrieve weight is going to be 8,500-9,000 lbs.

You will certainly be over your weight rating, so it is a matter of the driving situation and the launch ramp situation.

Let us know how it goes.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Nope according to the fuel and water report tanks are to be kept at a minimum to the dock! Surely you read your *' o' clock reports sir! Just because I never owned a boat doesn't mean I have not stood helm, or nav plot! So yeah, it's possible with the vehicle I have that's rated right at 8,000 pounds. but I would have to be very careful about my weight and go to the scales and make sure my load distribution is just right! Outdoor storage: I own land so I'm trying to cut on that expense otherwise I would pay the $800 a month docking fee. Would most likely drop it once a weekend and retrieve it on a Monday. So, I would only load fuel for the weekends transit and then turns screws just to bring my liquid weight down just enough for retrieval, after pumping waste at the station. last I checked a battery was lighter than a fifty cal. which I won't be using anymore so don't have to worry about that one. I wonder how many batteries this sucker has onboard. that is an excellent point and life vests are inflatable. So that leaves the anchor but most of the weight is in the chain.
Why did you post a question here if all you want to do is argue?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a 20’ bow rider that is supposed to have a dry weight of about 2700 lbs. Fully fueled and full of gear it weighs 5050 lbs on the trailer! I towed it at first with our ‘98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 rated at 5,000 lbs but after a few years switched to the ‘07 Grand Cherokee 5.7 rated at 7200 lbs. Huge difference.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are over-loaded for your tow vehicle PERIOD. your two choices are to buy a smaller boat for your current tow vehicle, or buy a bigger tow vehicle for this boat

no need to argue about it. you came here and asked a question you knew the answer to, now are getting mad at the honest responses from the iBoats community.

we are all here to help you. dont be argumentative.

you also only have 2 wheel drive. if there is any algae on the ramp, you will not be able to retrieve the boat and most likely will end up on youtube with your yukon being pulled in. 50% of the ramps I launch and retrieve from require 4 wheel drive a good part of the year. these are improved ramps with algae and slime on them which makes them slicker than elephant snot. the tides hide or expose up to 20 feet of this slime and the truck will just spin the rear wheels. so I switch to 4 wheel drive

Batteries weigh 67# and your boat will have 2 or 3 its part of the 600# of gear you have on board like flares, anchor, fire extinguishers, PFD's boat hooks, extra line, anchors, etc. this load is not considered removable. it should be considered as part of the load

Most dry weights are optimistic, and in reality your dry weight is probably about 2-300# more

you state you need to keep your fuel tank at a minimum. how in the heck can you do that? you fill up your tank before every trip. are you planning to come back and empty the tank? No. are you planning to come back and burn out all 100 gallons of fuel? No.

so you must include a full fuel tank in your load calculations

things you can remove from your weight calculations. the cooler of beer. every case of beer in bottles is 40# (same as a 5 gallon can of fuel)

you need a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 ton truck with 3.73:1 ratio to get your towing capacity up where you need with this boat.

When the Navy launches ships, they don't launch them it with full gear fuel and water. I know because I have served on eight of them. I've been through more yard periods that I would care to count. So black water you dump prior to pulling in there are many service stations. Trailer weight 3,000 lbs gear thats a separate trip own three cars not a problem! fuel once again pier side. dry wight 6600.
you are right, when both naval ships and yachts are launched. the fuel tanks, ballast tanks, fresh water tanks, grey water tanks and black water tanks are all emptied.

because the vessel would break under the strain of the equipment used to launch the boat otherwise. not that they are being transported on a trailer

you may have served, thank you for that. However I spent 10 years designing white boats and grey boats and many of their systems and know many naval architects. I have also been in many boat yards and dry docks.

but you dont have a yacht, destroyer, tug boat, submarine, or aircraft carrier. you have an express cruiser that weighs too much for your current tow vehicle. you are trying to compare potatoes and pumpkins

your dry weight is just the dry weight of the boat.
you need to add the trailer weight. and at that point, you are over your towing capacity. not arguing. that is the simple math of facts.
6600# + 1500# > 7200#

then you have the installed gear as stated above. and the reality that you wont be pumping out the fuel out of your tank.

so 6600# + 1500# + 600# + 682# is way greater than your 7200# max towing capacity

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would:
Buy a smaller and much newer boat. A 22 year old I/O powered boat could have many unseen problems anybody here who has worked on older boats knows that. Suggestion: 20-22’ dual console saltwater style boat with 175-200 hp outboard power. 3-5 years old. If I ever get another boat that’s what I’m looking for. I would not ever again buy an old boat BTDT!
A boat of that type will get you out on the water & be easy to handle & reliable.
If you buy an older I/O you need to be familiar with old school Chevrolet small blocks carbs and or old school fuel injection. Most younger folks I know haven’t a clue about power packages like these. And then there’s the whole drive/transom mount & it’s assorted issues. If used in salt water there’s a lot to watch out for.
So….think this over….are you ready to become an I/O mechanic….or pay thousands to one….or just want to go boating…..

Last edited:
you are over-loaded for your tow vehicle PERIOD. your two choices are to buy a smaller boat for your current tow vehicle, or buy a bigger tow vehicle for this boat

no need to argue about it. you came here and asked a question you knew the answer to, now are getting mad at the honest responses from the iBoats community.

you also only have 2 wheel drive. if there is any algae on the ramp, you will not be able to retrieve the boat and most likely will end up on youtube with your yukon being pulled in. 50% of the ramps I launch and retrieve from require 4 wheel drive a good part of the year. these are improved ramps with algae and slime on them which makes them slicker than elephant snot. the tides hide or expose up to 20 feet of this slime and the truck will just spin the rear wheels. so I switch to 4 wheel drive

Batteries weigh 67# and your boat will have 2 or 3 its part of the 600# of gear you have on board like flares, anchor, fire extinguishers, PFD's boat hooks, extra line, anchors, etc. this load is not considered removable. it should be considered as part of the load

Most dry weights are optimistic, and in reality your dry weight is probably about 2-300# more

you state you need to keep your fuel tank at a minimum. how in the heck can you do that? you fill up your tank before every trip. are you planning to come back and empty the tank? No. are you planning to come back and burn out all 100 gallons of fuel? No.

things you can remove from your weight calculations. the cooler of beer. every case of beer in bottles is 40# (same as a 5 gallon can of fuel)

you need a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 ton truck with 3.73:1 ratio to get your towing capacity up where you need with this boat.

you are right, when both naval ships and yachts are launched. the fuel tanks, ballast tanks, fresh water tanks, grey water tanks and black water tanks are all emptied.

because the vessel would break under the strain of the equipment used to launch the boat otherwise. not that they are being transported on a trailer

you may have served, thank you for that. However I spent 10 years designing white boats and grey boats and many of their systems and know many naval architects. I have also been in many boat yards and dry docks.

but you dont have a yacht, destroyer, tug boat, submarine, or aircraft carrier. you have an express cruiser that weighs too much for your current tow vehicle. you are trying to compare potatoes and pumpkins

you need to add the trailer weight. and at that point, you are over your towing capacity. not arguing. that is the simple math of facts.
6600# + 1500# > 7200#

then you have the installed gear as stated above. and the reality that you wont be pumping out the fuel out of your tank.

so 6600# + 1500# + 600# + 682# is way greater than your 7200# max towing capacity
It surprises me that people be launching boats full of water black water etc.. I looked at the batteries their about 60-70 pounds apiece 3 batteries are average so that 120 pounds. I have looked at lighter boats, and rented them but it's like being on a 7-meter rib after a while you're like now what? So, I definitely do not want to go lighter. 5 to 15 knot cruising speed is just fine and dump black water at 10 NM. But I would probably fare better with a 2500 HD ford in pulling her out.

6600# + 1500# > 7200#

A load is a load that's why you would have to take it to the truck scales to see what the actual weight is, and the center of gravity is at otherwise you could be getting in a bad accident on the road pulling the load.