Mercruiser 5.0 crankshaft front oil seal replacement

mdaddy

Seaman
2008 Mercruiser 5.0 tks Alpha One
serial#1A322719

Before I pull the harmonic balancer, is replacing the front oil seal pretty straightforward or are there any special issues to look out for? It's slinging oil from around the balancer/pulley, especially under load. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Nothing special, remove and replace
My question would be what caused it to start leaking, for it to leak is rare. Wonder if its a cracked cover, but hey can be seen once balancer is removed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your cover needs to be replaced, the motor needs to come out

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If your cover needs to be replaced, the motor needs to come out
Most boats I've seen don't have near enough room in front of the engine to get a proper tool to successfully pull/install the seal. Being most likely a plastic timing cover I would be suspect of damaging the cover.

Seeing as how it's highly recommended to replace it when it's removed I would opt to replace the entire cover and oil pan gasket.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most boats I've seen don't have near enough room in front of the engine to get a proper tool to successfully pull/install the seal. Being most likely a plastic timing cover I would be suspect of damaging the cover.

Seeing as how it's highly recommended to replace it when it's removed I would opt to replace the entire cover and oil pan gasket.
I would also ditch the plastic cover for the billet aluminum front cover.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
2008 Mercruiser 5.0 tks Alpha One
serial#1A322719

Before I pull the harmonic balancer, is replacing the front oil seal pretty straightforward or are there any special issues to look out for? It's slinging oil from around the balancer/pulley, especially under load. Thanks.
Examine bearing surface carefully. Usually grit causes seal to fail. You may have to add a "Speedy seal" kit.

mdaddy

Seaman
Nothing special, remove and replace
My question would be what caused it to start leaking, for it to leak is rare. Wonder if its a cracked cover, but hey can be seen once balancer is removed
It was a cracked timing chain cover- would dump several qts. of oil in 10-15 min. with severe oil pressure drop and I was baffled as the seal seemed improbable.... 12" crack along face of timing chain cover... ughhh! Replaced cover, sealed up, taking for a test run 2morrow am! Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Did you stick with plastic or go to an aluminum cover?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have never seen aluminum or plastic on a SB chevy motor. Was it cracked or eroded? If you have too loose chain, you should examine carefully.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have never seen aluminum or plastic on a SB chevy motor. Was it cracked or eroded? If you have too loose chain, you should examine carefully.
Mid 90’s and up vortec engines came with plastic covers from GM.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
1996 and later motors went plastic. Aftermarket solution is aluminum

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Plastic???? No wonder it crapped out!
Yes, auto makers now make plastic intakes, plastic oil pans, valve covers, timing covers. For a vehicle that lasts 4-8 years it's not a problem. However in a boat that lasts 15+, it's a real issue

One of the many reasons I prefer to refurb/rebuild vs buy new

Luckily the aftermarket SBC aluminum bits are cheaper than the plastic OEM bits

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lip inside the timing cover where it seals upto the oil pan makes it nearly impossible to replace the cover without dropping the oil pan.

Like most things, I’m sure going to plastic saved GM a few dollars per engine.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While the old style tin parts can rust through I think they’re better than plastic!
Just spray the timing chain cover & oil pan once a year with Corrosion X. Worked for me 20+ years in salt water!

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The lip inside the timing cover where it seals upto the oil pan makes it nearly impossible to replace the cover without dropping the oil pan.

Like most things, I’m sure going to plastic saved GM a few dollars per engine.
UR correct on SB Chevy V8s. I have replaced several in my 73 years. Pain in the butt!