1964 Johnson JW-19M Restoration project

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you use the cam screw to adjust the point gap ?----There should be no need to " grind " new points.------What brand / part # points did you buy ??

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did you use the cam screw to adjust the point gap ?----There should be no need to " grind " new points.------What brand / part # points did you buy ??
Yes, fully aware of the cam screw. Set at even the largest gap setting, there is no gap. The material on the stationary contact is visually much thicker on the new point, despite being the correct part number (0580148). I bought 6 for various projects and they are all the same.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just finished refurbing my 1963 Johnson JW-18 last June. Basically the same as your motor. I did not have this issue when replacing the points. I used Sierra Part Number 18-5006.

I'm thinking you bought the wrong points for that motor.

Last edited:

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just finished refurbing my 1963 Johnson JW-18 last June. Basically the same as your motor. I did not have this issue when replacing the points. I used Sierra Part Number 18-5006.

I'm thinking you bought the wrong points for that motor.
Thanks, I will order a set and check it out. Both 'marineengine' and 'crowleymarine' listed part 0580148 as the correct points for this engine. If 18-5006 fit properly, I will post.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOOSE CONNECTING ROD
Cracked open the power head and discovered a couple of things.
First, two of the bolts showed signs of failed attempts to remove. The other six bolts were untouched. So I figure someone felt the need to open the power head and found it too difficult to remove the bolts.
Second, once I opened the block, I realized that the bolts on the lower connecting rod were LOOSE!!!! The locking plates were in place and prevented the bolts from coming completely free. The only thing I can think of is that there were never torqued properly in the first place.
So I figure the reason why someone was attempting to open the block might have been due to hearing a knocking from the loose connecting rod.
I have new bolts and locking plates coming in the mail.
After I finished the refurb of my '63, when blasting across the lake WOT I noticed a ratting noise. Never figured what that was. Maybe it's loose rod caps? Damn. I don't really want to have to tear it all apart again.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After I finished the refurb of my '63, when blasting across the lake WOT I noticed a ratting noise. Never figured what that was. Maybe it's loose rod caps? Damn. I don't really want to have to tear it all apart again.
you gotta do what ya gotta do. The good thing is that you get faster and faster at tearing it apart and putting it back together.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, I will order a set and check it out. Both 'marineengine' and 'crowleymarine' listed part 0580148 as the correct points for this engine. If 18-5006 fit properly, I will post.
my set of 18-5006 only arrive on August 18 (2022). I will have an update shortly after.

lindy46

Captain
I've had similar problems with new points not opening at all with the eccentric screw. I've given up on the "new" junk they are selling nowadays and have been refubishing old points with good results. They just don't make them like they used to.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just installed a new set of points from tune up kit 18-5006. They fit perfectly. Those I got earlier (part 0580148) did not fit. They formed no gap at all and I had to try filing them down (which did not work). I have not finished installing both sets and doing one more inspection of the engine. I have my fingers crossed for the next time I test this outboard. Hope to get it out on the water before fall ends. Thanks tons @Dave1027 for the tip on the tune up kit.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, there's been a lot of reports of ill fitting points lately - both OEM and aftermarket. Many have decided that refurbishing the old original points is the best way to go these days.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, there's been a lot of reports of ill fitting points lately - both OEM and aftermarket. Many have decided that refurbishing the old original points is the best way to go these days.
I will send a notice to Cowelymarine regarding the points.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I contacted the vendor of the Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts points P/N 580148 and told them about the low quality points. They claim no responsibility for the quality of the parts and state they are original OEW parts from the manufacturer. They said they will pass along the feedback and offer me a refund on unused parts.
What I can tell you is that the Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts were manufactured in China, while the Sierra parts were manufactured in Taiwan.
I plan to film a review of the parts and post on my Youtube channel.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
So, I contacted the vendor of the Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts points P/N 580148 and told them about the low quality points. They claim no responsibility for the quality of the parts and state they are original OEW parts from the manufacturer. They said they will pass along the feedback and offer me a refund on unused parts.
What I can tell you is that the Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts were manufactured in China, while the Sierra parts were manufactured in Taiwan.
If only it ment something. Our government watch dogs that scrupulously hail rain on American company's about quality control do nothing on imported parts and merchandising. Nobody seems to care about fixing anything.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There have been numerous reports of new points not fitting. Junk quality replacement parts.

Plankwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a detailed examination of three points; the original points, a set from Johnson/Evinrude Original Parts from China, and a set from Sierra made in Taiwan. Check it out here:

ct1762@gmail.com

just another reason to ditch the points and put in ignition modules. youll be amazed at how easily they start, and how smooth they idle. its too bad they dont make the red australian ATOM computer chips anymore, but if you use aftermarket coils and nova2 modules they seem to hold up. had a few atom red's left, and just converted a sportwin 10hp. have a video of how slow it idles, and needs no choke to start when cold.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I picked up 5 magneto plates at ---aomci---meet.-----New factory coils , points and condensers.-----I do not see an issue with the factory parts.-----Migh just pick up a new set of points at a dealer.----Just to see for myself if these issues are real or not !!

ct1762@gmail.com

I picked up 5 magneto plates at ---aomci---meet.-----New factory coils , points and condensers.-----I do not see an issue with the factory parts.-----Migh just pick up a new set of points at a dealer.----Just to see for myself if these issues are real or not !!
if you can find a set of the original ATOM red chips, or Sierra Magnatunes, youll see what I mean. I think they double-fired on top, but havent hooked up my analyizer to see if thats true. The other nice thing is you can leave the points/condenser setup on the mag plate, and just run the points wire to the chip after opening the points to say .060'' so they dont touch.