Quicksilver 3000 Classic w/trailering button: Replacement options

manebeam

Cadet
Hello, noob to this site.

I broke my remote control assembly today. The shift got jammed and I couldn't move it and of course I applied some force and now it's shot/stripped in the housing assembly. In all fairness I never liked it and it's 26 years old.

I have looked for posts here and I have found some here but the newest one is now over 6 years old.

My boat is a 97 SeaRay 175 with a Merc 3.0 LX stern. The controller has a trailering option on it which I require.

I need a direct replacement for it so I can use existing holes. I don't want to repair holes and drill new ones. I also would like to use the existing cables (if I can). What do you recommend I use as a replacement.

Lastly, I observed 2 yellow electrical wires going into the assembly box. What are those for? I know they are not for the trim.

Thanks

HOUSING ASSEMBLY

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Oem new replacement control will require new cables and possibility of drilling/grinding fiberglass to fit properly.

There are aftermarket new options but they don't have the same quality as oem and will most likely require drilling/grinding

Try searching ebay/private seller for direct replacement?

Bondo

Staff member
Lastly, I observed 2 yellow electrical wires going into the assembly box. What are those for? I know they are not for the trim.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Probably the neutral safety switch, wired in-line with the start circuit,....

manebeam

Cadet
Lol, I'm being presumptuous here but thanks fellas for the insight! If I'm wrong I apologize :)

I've looked everywhere for a direct replacement. Ebay has one but it looks like junk and they want a lot of $$ for it so I may as well go new. I'd rather not go to my only local marine dealer. I've been having other issues with it - and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it and charge me $300 every time I go. Of course, it only acts up for me.

I've looked at the mercury website for options but they don't share much info on Flush mount single engine controls. Seastarsolutions/Dometic have nothing. I'm stumped.

manebeam

Cadet
Lol, I'm being presumptuous here but thanks fellas for the insight! If I'm wrong I apologize :)

I've looked everywhere for a direct replacement. Ebay has one but it looks like junk and they want a lot of $$ for it so I may as well go new. I'd rather not go to my only local marine dealer. I've been having other issues with it - and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it and charge me $300 every time I go. Of course, it only acts up for me.

I've looked at the mercury website for options but they don't share much info on Flush mount single engine controls. Seastarsolutions/Dometic have nothing. I'm stumped.

I found the Dometic SeaStar Xtreme CHX8052P. I think this will work and it's on iBoats store but I also found the Mercury MPC 4000- 8M0011214. It says it has trim and trailer switch but I don't see it on the shifter. Is it built into the trim switch somehow? Also, it's not available on this store. Mercury marine website is just awful.

I'm not 100% sure but is the CHX8052P the same as the Teleflex CH1700 from 6-7 years ago? It was the preferred changeout then. Is it still?

Appreciate any and all replies.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
What's exactly wrong with it? There is a manual for it. Search for Quicksilver Commander 3000 Classic Throttle Control manual. I downloaded one from somewhere, can't remember at present. Used it to replace my thumb switch. Parts seem to be readily available.

manebeam

Cadet
Whelp, it got stuck in the reverse position and I couldn't get it unstuck and applied pressure to try and get it to move. Well it did and now the shifter just moves back and forth freely. I took the back off the assembly box and found broken pieces.

Last edited:

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
I also found the Mercury MPC 4000- 8M0011214. It says it has trim and trailer switch but I don't see it on the shifter. Is it built into the trim switch somehow?
I just purchased this to replace my commander 3000 as well. To answer your question yes the trailer switch is built into the up trim switch lightly push for trim up and it takes a good hard push for trailer trim up also it uses the new style cables so you would have to replace the cables

manebeam

Cadet
I just purchased this to replace my commander 3000 as well. To answer your question yes the trailer switch is built into the up trim switch lightly push for trim up and it takes a good hard push for trailer trim up also it uses the new style cables so you would have to replace the cables
Thanks for the information markhodges78. I priced it out at my local shop….$660. New cables are extra. Well it’s true what they say -bring on another thousand 😵‍💫

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the information markhodges78. I priced it out at my local shop….$660. New cables are extra. Well it’s true what they say -bring on another thousand 😵‍💫
I got mine from nuwavemarine the controller and 2 new cables was 461 I got the 8M0030551 which is a chrome controller not the black 1

manebeam

Cadet
I think it's
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Lol
Lol so true, so true!! I'm up in Canada and we get hosed on prices and shipping. I'm looking for shipping options to northern US towns along the border but I'm still a couple hours north of that and then the exchange rate is brutal. I possibly located a second hand one down south for $200. If it's in good shape it's still a huge upgrade.