82 Evinrude 115hp: How to run on stand?

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a spare motor that I want to test run. Do I need to hook up a remote control box to get it to run? I've only ever tested tiller motors off the boat. Is there a way to run a 115 without a remote control? Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Control box is not needed to start / run it.----Just hook up a battery to protect the charging system.-----Motor will start and run by jumping the starter motor.-----Operate the primer valve manually for cold starting.----Motor could be started with rope if you have a weak battery.----

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor will have to be stopped by running out of fuel or turning primer valve to manual mode.

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know how to jump the starter, but where do I connect the battery to protect the charging system? Thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Your motor should have a solenoid switch under the cover, next to the starter. The positive battery cable connects to one of the large posts. The negative battery cable connects to the engine block for grounding. Post a clear picture of the solenoid and starter for further comments from listers. (Connect positive leads first.)

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is what I've got so far. I'll connect battery to the top post on solenoid and the negative battery cable to the motor.Do I leave the starter wire connected to the bottom post of solenoid? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_120704_492.jpg
    IMG_20220529_120704_492.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Go from battery post on the solenoid to one of the wee terminals on the solenoid .-----Manual operation of PRIMER SOLENOID first.----Then crank and start it.----Supply water to impeller.-----Motor will need to be stopped by running out of fuel or primer valve OPEN