1963 Starcraft Starmist? replacing floor - HELP

Old man Boat

Seaman
Hello to all. I was given this 1963 Starcraft and it does not have a vin number on it. Looking on the interweb, I think it matches a Starmist, but not too sure (by matching the four foot pads on the sides and the two drain holes by the motor). Any input would be appreciated.
My next question pertains to the floor. I found that foam is required to be installed, but does the floor go front to back in one level or is it cut somewhere below the dash (maybe where the strip of aluminum crossed the center support near the throttle assembly) so that it slopes to the bow slightly? Any photos of how this floor is situated in the boat would be very helpful. As you can see in the photos, there is nothing in it (except mother nature). Also, there appears to be some kind of "foot rest" that might attach to the flooring (can be seen in the second interior photo next to the aluminum strip going left to right by the throttle). Thank you in advance.

63 Starcraft 1.jpg63 Starcraft 2.jpg63 Starcraft 3.jpg63 Starcraft 4.jpg

Old man Boat

Seaman
I believe I have a Starmist (no vin plate, but pics online lean towards that model). I received the boat with the floor removed. Any help with photos, plans, experience, tips, etc on installing the floor would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing there was a front half (the seam about where the front seats would be) and the back half. There is an aluminum keel piece (stands verticle going across the rib supports) going from the rear and ending where the front seats would be located. There is also a cross "brace" (piece of aluminum about 1/8" thick, 2 1/4" wide and 4ft long. It attaches on top of the keel piece and runs left and right. Is this where the 2 floor halves/joint sits on? Again, pics would be awesome, and any input appreciated.

Michaelduf

Cadet
I believe I have a Starmist (no vin plate, but pics online lean towards that model). I received the boat with the floor removed. Any help with photos, plans, experience, tips, etc on installing the floor would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing there was a front half (the seam about where the front seats would be) and the back half. There is an aluminum keel piece (stands verticle going across the rib supports) going from the rear and ending where the front seats would be located. There is also a cross "brace" (piece of aluminum about 1/8" thick, 2 1/4" wide and 4ft long. It attaches on top of the keel piece and runs left and right. Is this where the 2 floor halves/joint sits on? Again, pics would be awesome, and any input appreciated.
search "1966 Starcraft Holiday Interior work" in the forum search bar. very detailed walkthrough of entire floor process. just skip to when he already has floors ripped out.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged the 2 topics you started about your Starmist

Old man Boat

Seaman
Me too. Unfortunately it may go to scrap. No title and the Texas Parks and Wildlife says with no title, there is a huge hoop to jump through AND it must be inspected by a game warden. There is a chance he will confiscate the boat. I said really? It’s gutted and 58yrs old! Nope. He has the option to take it. Ugh! Trying to figure this out, but cutting it up and scraping may be in its future...😩

chevymaher

Commander
Ah keep at it. They did not have titles back then. You just got to find someone who knows law and isnt a maverick shooting his mouth off. I went through the same thing titling a chevelle. And I had a title.

First step is read the law yourself so when you talk to them they can't buffalo you saying any ol dumb sheet. Nothing pisses a government official off like having to know something and do their job.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It isnt that easy in Texas Chevy, very didfferent then KY.

Familiarity w the rules will HELP immensely, but Texas is pretty stringent.

todhunter

Canoeist
Ah keep at it. They did not have titles back then. You just got to find someone who knows law and isnt a maverick shooting his mouth off. I went through the same thing titling a chevelle. And I had a title.

First step is read the law yourself so when you talk to them they can't buffalo you saying any ol dumb sheet. Nothing pisses a government official off like having to know something and do their job.
Yep, nothing like schooling them on their own regulations. I went through that with the tag department and my trailer, since it came to me un-titled. I had to explain to several people what the actual regulations were, and that I was in my rights to ask for what I was asking for. Granted, I'm in TN, not TX.

chevymaher

Commander
I fought to get mine transferred for 7 years. they refused to do it because it wasn't a running car. I had 10 grand stuck in it by then. I was getting stressed what if the title got lost or damaged I was just out.

I read the law. I found a provision where it said you got 10 days to transfer it or be fined. I called the capital played stupid and acted like i got caught just not doing it. Now he is all fired up gonna fine me. I said well how do you transfer it if they refuse to. WHAAAAAAAT?

I called years earlier complaining and they sided with the sherriffs station. Know the law word it differently and make them think they got you on something. Because believe me helping me was never entering either of their minds.

Well they have to he said. I said can you call them. He did. I had him come to inspect the car and again he refused. I said I expected this to happen. He is waiting for my call the guy in frankfort will talk to you. Then it got done.

It is a Barney Fife situation. They worried about screwing you more than doing what is legal. If the car was transfered as I bought it. It was junk I pay 25 bucks for the length of the time I own the car for tags. But if it is a running car it is valued at 60-70 grand for taxes.

Took me 7 years. Just got to not give up and talk to people.

Last edited:

Old man Boat

Seaman
Thanks.... I’ll keep trying. That’s our tax dollars fighting against us. Give someone a little authority and they think they’re the king. Fingers crossed

Old man Boat

Seaman
Woo Hoo!!!! Searched numerous places online and found the previous owner. He will do what it takes to get me the title. I’m back on track. Now, back to the weld shop to fix the hull!

Old man Boat

Seaman
My registration card has a serial number. I noticed someone’s photo of the ID plate on his Starcraft as having a couple numbers or letters, a dash, then 5 numbers (xx-xxxxx). Can someone who has a 1963 (or close) Starcraft tell me what the first two digits/letters you have are? Trying to see if they correspond to a particular model. Thanks

Old man Boat

Seaman
So I take it no one has a 1963 Starcraft Starmist (or equivalent) that can share a photo of what their floor looks like so I could get an idea of how it sits in place? Issue is the forward section as to how the floor meshes between/over the floor support braces below the floor.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The deck (floor) runs flat from stern to bow. The bow pieces taper and have scallops along the edges to allow them to sit down further over the ribs, not along the top edge/end like the ones at the stern.

Deck at bow sort of resembles an flint arrowhead....

Look thru any 14, 15 or 16ft closed bow aluminum Starcraft rebuild, the deck fits similarly in them all at the bow.

Michaelduf

Cadet
This is awesome, I am literally in the middle of replacing the floors in almost the exact same boat. 1974 Starcraft Jetstream. I have already taken out my old seats and floor boards, carpet, and foam. I power washed the inside and now getting ready to lay new foam and frame it.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 11
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 11

Old man Boat

Seaman
Had my boat sandblasted, polished the trim, power washed the whole boat to get ready to seal the seams. Floor is the next task. Haven’t had much luck on tips here so it gonna be an experience.

Attachments

• D45283FE-FD37-45B2-9374-19ABD99C24AC.png
    D45283FE-FD37-45B2-9374-19ABD99C24AC.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 2B4D2CC7-B7F7-438D-A3CD-209228C02755.jpeg
    2B4D2CC7-B7F7-438D-A3CD-209228C02755.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

64osby

Admiral
Sealing seams on the inside , use Gluvit or Coatit. Both work well. Replace any rivets that are bad or missing, rebuck others. Have you done a leak test?