91 mercury 115 flooded then no spark

Dlingram1

Cadet
I took my bass tracker to lake and think I flooded it. When I crank on it,appeared to be dumping gas in the water and wouldn’t start. So I went home tried again still no start. I then checked a plug for spark the old way against the block ha d spark. I then cleaned the carbs reinstalled and now I have no spark on any plug and I used a spark tester. I’m waiting on a Dva from Amazon to start testing on stator and switch box. Any in put would be appreciated. Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Was the fuel flood due to a float issue, float's needle not closing properly on needle valve seat ? Assume was not checked due to the motor is not running.

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Flooding will not make spark quit on tester...sound like stator problem.

Dlingram1

Cadet
Welcome to Iboats,

Was the fuel flood due to a float issue, float's needle not closing properly on needle valve seat ? Assume was not checked due to the motor is not running.

Happy Boating
I cleaned the carbs and they seemed to be working properly but I didn’t pull them out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
That’s is kinda what I’m thinking. I just received my Dva to test it but I’m not sure I really know how.
Triggers are microseconds (0.000001 second) wide, 100's of volt pulses occurring in hundreds of millisecond (0.10 second) intervals. The signal pops up and disappears for a disproportionate period of time. The DVA is a "sample and hold circuit" composed mainly of 3 components:
A diode in series with the signal that rectifies the AC reaction of the ignition coils to a positive DC value.
A storage capacitor that takes those little skinny DC spikes and starts adding them up....aka charging up to the peak value so that there is enough signal component for a multimeter to read the result.....this happens rater quickly in real time....you watching the meter.
A bleeder resistor to bleed off the charge on the capacitor, slowly over time so that the capacitor continues to follow the peak signal coming in, not charge up to the highest signals and stay there, plus bleed the capacitor of all it's charge when testing is completed.

You get the manual, read the test, hook the DVA terminals to the circuit specified, connect your DVM across the output terminals of the DVA and read the value. Compare it to the manual spec. That simple.

Dlingram1

Cadet
Triggers are microseconds (0.000001 second) wide, 100's of volt pulses occurring in hundreds of millisecond (0.10 second) intervals. The signal pops up and disappears for a disproportionate period of time. The DVA is a "sample and hold circuit" composed mainly of 3 components:
A diode in series with the signal that rectifies the AC reaction of the ignition coils to a positive DC value.
A storage capacitor that takes those little skinny DC spikes and starts adding them up....aka charging up to the peak value so that there is enough signal component for a multimeter to read the result.....this happens rater quickly in real time....you watching the meter.
A bleeder resistor to bleed off the charge on the capacitor, slowly over time so that the capacitor continues to follow the peak signal coming in, not charge up to the highest signals and stay there, plus bleed the capacitor of all it's charge when testing is completed.

You get the manual, read the test, hook the DVA terminals to the circuit specified, connect your DVM across the output terminals of the DVA and read the value. Compare it to the manual spec. That simple.
Wow dude your way smarter than me. Lol I can’t find a manual for the 115 6 cyl to get the specs I just realized the one I purchased Is for 4 cyl. I’m sure the specs would be different.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have a 1991 model inline 6 cylinder ?------Serial # is ?----Your location ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is why the poster should put up serial # or pictures.----I agree a 1991 inline 6 might be rare in North America.

Dlingram1

Cadet
I apologize y’all I pulled the title out to get the serial number and realized the motor is an88 #ob358100.

Dlingram1

Cadet
This is what it looks like

Attachments

• C70E4F73-225B-4AF0-BE00-8AE6D59CC6EE.png
    C70E4F73-225B-4AF0-BE00-8AE6D59CC6EE.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 64BDB2FB-315E-4250-9A31-D1A19249E49B.png
    64BDB2FB-315E-4250-9A31-D1A19249E49B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 0D7AD4C0-7833-4129-94AF-A6FA8974D444.png
    0D7AD4C0-7833-4129-94AF-A6FA8974D444.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step #1 is to load test the battery even if you bought it last week.----Then pull the starter apart for inspection and OHM test on armature.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On the DVA working on a 6 rather than a 4, the pulses are closer together on a 6 by 33% meaning that it would be 33% easier for the DVA to measure the 6 than the 4. On peak voltage whatever it is, regardless of number of cylinders the DVA will charge up to it and hold till you disconnect the leads or turn the engine off. The only difference with number of cylinders being measured is how long it takes to stabilize at the peak voltage reading on the meter as a function of engine rpms.

On the '88 115 Direct Injection, I had one, bought new, marketed in 1989 on a 1989 Ranger pad hull. That sucker would get on the pad and run at 6k rpm, Merc 19P Laser 3 blade SS, kissing 50...maybe would have touched it if in the dead of winter (brrrrrrr), about 10% prop slip, and just sing to me. Loved that engine and boat more than any I ever owned and that's quite a few over the years. I ran the 19 vs higher pitch because I used to water ski behind it also.

Last edited:

skuhleman

Seaman
Have you checked the control box? The fact you have no spark on all of them seems like maybe the kill wire in the control box might be powered somehow?

Man that's a pretty inline. Mines a 84 115 and looks way worse than that lol. But I'm working on cleaning it up.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
On the DVA working on a 6 rather than a 4, the pulses are closer together on a 6 by 33% meaning that it would be 33% easier for the DVA to measure the 6 than the 4. On peak voltage whatever it is, regardless of number of cylinders the DVA will charge up to it and hold till you disconnect the leads or turn the engine off. The only difference with number of cylinders being measured is how long it takes to stabilize at the peak voltage reading on the meter as a function of engine rpms.

Read this several times....UHHHHH???? Stator and trigger DVA voltages has nothing to do with number of cylinders....all RPM related

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Read this several times....UHHHHH???? Stator and trigger DVA voltages has nothing to do with number of cylinders....all RPM related
My information is derived from the theory or operations in the service manual. It does illustrate the 3 cyl and states the the 4 cyl models have one more CDM....didn't mention another coil but triples fire every 120* and Quads every 90* so there has to be another pickup for the extra cylinder and all are in a different position. Since the magnets pass all pickup coils per revolution, and since the outputs are in series, then the frequency of the pulses coming down the green-white, white- green output leads have to increase as number of cylinders increase at a rated rpm....logic tells me.

Obviously the faster the magnets pass the coils, the higher the voltage developed (V=L di/dt). Manual states different values for cranking speeds (assuming 200 with plugs out and a hot battery, other values for 300-1k and 1k - 4 k rpm, but my comment to which you refer had to do with pulse count per rpm per # of cylinders.

I never tore into my I6 other than to change the SG plugs a couple of times in the 7 years I owned it so I can't say what's under that flywheel. It just ran, never needed attention.......oops forgot, water jacket cover around the spark plugs developed a leak after half a dozen years time line. Fixed that.

But..... you are the consultant, not me. I just tell it as it happens with my stuff best I can figure it out....... so You'de Man!