Advice for Smith Mountain Lake, VA

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any advice for fishing Smith Mountain Lake in VA? I’m going for a week with the in-laws. Got a house on the lake, with a nice dock. I can’t bring my boat because it’s a long way from being ready. So I plan to fish from the dock. I used to fish for largemouth bass quite a bit growing up around lakes in FL. And I hear that there is striped bass fishing there also, so that’s an interest for me also. In my experience I’ve mostly used and had the best luck with plastic worms on a Texas rig, or when it’s really calm, a topwater. So are there colors or styles that that is good for that area or maybe another rig altogether? Thanks for any help.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Stillwater Smack-It SrI used to fish for largemouth bass quite a bit growing up around lakes in FL. And I hear that there is striped bass fishing there also, so that’s an interest for me also.
The two species don't have much in common other than "Bass" in their name.

Unlike Large Mouth, Stripers are school fish.......you typically have to go find them, or more precisely, go find the bait they are feeding on.
Live lining (live bait) or deep jigging are the primary means of catching them on SML.

Couple of things to keep in mind...
Stripers are not fond of warm water. Stay in deep water most of the summer.
"The sun hurts their eyes" ;) O' dark 30 is your friend. Things get tough once the sun breaks the horizon.

In my experience I’ve mostly used and had the best luck with plastic worms on a Texas rig, or when it’s really calm, a topwater. So are there colors or styles that that is good for that area or maybe another rig altogether? Thanks for any help.
If I was stuck in the shore, I'd throw "big" top water to make some noise very early in the morning and at dusk.

I'm a big fan of 5", Stillwater Smack-It in either Blue or Black

Good luck

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
I did read that they don’t like light. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I’ll hook onto a monster. At least bigger than my lure. Hate to admit that I’ve caught a few babies that must that have been really hungry because they were shorter than lure.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I spent a weekend there back in the early '90s.

Yes, there really are monster stripers there. I parked my RV and boat, then walked over to check out the dock and launch ramp. As I walked up to the dock I saw a big school of stripers, all about 3 feet long, cruising the shoreline. My eyes popped and my jaw dropped!

The next morning I went bass fishing and got my limit using white 4 inch curl tail grubs. Limited both days I was there.

Good luck and have fun! :D(y)