New York City

travbl

Seaman
I am from Allentown and I have a 20' stingray bowrider. I am looking into taking a day trip up to NYC and seeing the statue of liberty and possibly cruising around that area (when it finally stops snowing). If anyone can give me any information on where to put in or anything else it would be much appreciated.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New York City

Sound like a fun trip but might be biting off a bit to much for a day trip. Lots of water there but unless things have changed, it is difficult to get to. Am sure others from the area can come up with current info for launching.
Do know there is a current ramp in CARTARET but that puts you in the middle of the ARTHAR KILL ( chemical coast, big ships, refinerys ). Nicer area might be the SOUTH RIVER boat club and cruise down the RARITAN. Trip from there to the harbor is do able as years ago a friend and I took my 12 ft. sears boat with a 7 1/2 aircooled to the statue from there. Dumb trip, young and full of beer. Launching from the KEYPORT or HIGHLANDS is something to also consider. Biggest problem I can see is towing in that area, very conjested.
Not familiar with the area north but might consider launching in the HUDSON at STONEY POINT north of the TAPPAN ZEE bridge. Think that would be more accessable with towing from PA. For a day trip, putting in on the delaware south of TRENTON and doing that area might be a better idea. Thats not like going to the city but would be a lot less of a hassel. Not trying to talk you out of it, my experience goes back to the 80s and am sure things have been cleaned up since then ( sunken barges, ships, rotting piers, 55 gal drums, lots of tires floating). Sure there are guys here that can give you better current advice than I can. regards FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Considering all the response you got from your post, consider reading between the lines and go somewhere else.
For a bit of humor, google NEW JERSEY RIVIERA, its there somewhere. Area from south amboy to around keansburg or union beach is considered the riviera of N.J. Water is listed as unfit for swimming. Whole area is LOWER NEW YORK HARBOR. I picture the scene in the movie DANTES PEAK where the water eats the motor off the boat and then eats the grandmothers legs to boot. Question if I still have you here! The old SCHAEFFER brewery on 22, what brand of beer is made there now? I remember when the place was built. regards FRED

eddiemako1

Cadet

you can put in under the George Washington Bridge . Go north 1/2 mile and than down the Harlem river, Past Columbia u,Yankee stadium to the East river (past the united Nations building )back to the Hudson bay heading NE to Statue of liberty than past ground 0 and back to the George. All in all about 30+ miles ,do it at the right time and bring a fishing pole.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have launched from Liberty State Park . Its right behind the statue....do the circle line trip...up the hudson, right into the harlem river past the GW, down the East river, back across the harbor...takes about 3 hours...

Go for it , its a gret trip.

DSCF3526.jpg

DSCF3534.jpg

DSCF3550.jpg

DSCF3574.jpg

DSCF3584.jpg

DSCF3592.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome photos. That would be a cool trip. Thanks for posting it!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those sure are some nice pictures. Glad someone got here to give you a EXCELLENT launch point. Should be a straight shot for trailering. When I was last there the whole shore behind the statue was wall to wall burned and rotten piers with sunken barges. Nice that they cleaned it up.
Recommend you search the web to see if you can print up some charts. There were some unmarked obstructions. Found them the hard way. Mid way between the statue and the ferry terminal on SI, straight line, ran on to a few large flat concrete structures. Weird, was able to stand in a foot of water in the middle of the harbor and replace the shear pin while ships went by. They were like square monoliths, not marked. Leg on the air cooled gave out by the GOTHELS bridge, resulting in my very pregnant wife and her mother having to come and retrieve me and a friend from inside an oil refinery. She was extremely angry and still gets angry about it today. That had to be 1977, a few years ago.
Was going to submit this when something occured to me that I will share. When the leg quit, we managed to get the boat to a pier at the refinery. Workers there were very unhappy and tried to strong arm me to paddle the boat across the river to a tank farm, wanted me off the property. I had no intentions of getting in the river with the tugs without a motor so I told them I was a VESSEL IN DISTRESS. Must have been magic words as they became very accomidating, helped me pull the boat out and took me to a phone so I could call the wife. FRED

RWilson2526

Nice recovery there Fred :D. Dont worry I wont hold your NJ/NY bashing against you!!! You would not believe what they have done with some of the areas around the harbor there....although you wouldnt catch me or my boat up around the refineries and tank fields....(although from what I hear you can catch big Stripers up in there.) You should see the golf course they built in Bayonne right on the water by the statue.....looking at it you would think you're in Scotland...Liberty something or other is the name...unbelievable....

Whenever somebody from out of state comes to visit I take them on that trip around Manhatten....really is a great trip and would recommend it to anyone...keep in mind though you do have to be on your toes at all times when in the harbor (although I would almost have to guarantee there is no longer any giant blocks of concrete in the middle, wtf?)...the ferries are fast and the middle of the harbor can get rough....do your slow cruising up in the rivers but beat feet across the harbor.

Oh and one more tip...at the launch ramp in Liberty State Park, there is a machine that you get your ticket out of for launching....put in your card or cash, get your ticket and stick it on your dash and park...no attendants.

RWilson2526

you can put in under the George Washington Bridge . Go north 1/2 mile and than down the Harlem river, Past Columbia u,Yankee stadium to the East river (past the united Nations building )back to the Hudson bay heading NE to Statue of liberty than past ground 0 and back to the George. All in all about 30+ miles ,do it at the right time and bring a fishing pole.

Eddie, I have driven down to that ramp during the week to check it out....looks really cool but a little squirelly with that narrow road leading down to the water...have you ever launched from there? is the road a problem or does it get very crowded? I always wanted to try it.