What is the most annoying topic and why?

What is the most annoying topic and why?

• Vaseline!

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Which boat should I buy?

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • How much is this boat worth?

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • What kind of oil should I use?

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Should I have Insurance?

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • What should I name my boat?

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 25 22.9%

• Total voters

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the most annoying topic and why?

I haven't voted yet, but the most annoying to me are either going to be the ones where you offer help and you never do find out whether or not your advice helped or what the absolute resolution to the problem was, and the ones whining about bring up an old thread.

The reason there's soooooo many redundant questions on forums is because a problem is put forth, advice is given, sometimes a lot of back and forth banter, and in the end.... no one knows what solved the problem. Then again most people aren't computer literate and just don't care enough to post the resolution.

As for the old thread thing, well... the most annoying ones are people that ask a question related to the OP's question years after (instead of starting a new thread) OR the people trying to give an OP from 5 years ago advice. However an old thread brought back to life to indulge more conversation or carry on with fresh learned advise (an FYI if you will) ARE NOT annoying but I feel the mods here have a good grasp on what to leave running and what to close.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Right now "which boat should I buy" is winning, but some of these threads you can tell actually help the poster. Often the answer is a unanimous "neither", and the poster will look a bit more and find a more appropriate boat based on the feedback from the iboats community. No problem with that.

I chose "how much is this boat worth", because the answer should always be "the biggest offer you get, and not a penny more"

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wavenbye2 said:
I should have said this in my first reply too, I also pick "other" too. It's not that I get annoyed but some times it does bother me when some one new comes onto Iboats and alot of the guys here really go out of our way to help some one, give them links and other threads to read and you never hear from them again, No updates, No replies, No thank you's or anything. I don't look for gratitude but would like to know if we helped them out or if they figured it out or SOMETHING. Would be nice to get some feed back. Alot of people do!! And those are the ones I would help out again. I welcome Newcomers.

This is mine too. I can't tell you how many times I have searched for answers to problems, found threads with my exact same issues, and the solution or outcome was never posted.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Back from the dead. :)

The most annoying to me is also sometimes the most entertaining, depending on the direction it goes:

OP: Should I XXXXXXXXXXX?
Resp#1: NO Way!
Resp#2: I wouldn't suggest it.
Resp#3: I've done XXXXX for years and I would suggest you stay away based on...
Resp#16: NO!
OP: You guys don't know what you're talking about. I'ma do it anyway!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pretty much any thread in the towing section nowadays :p

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Diggin' up old silly polls that don't do much other than giving people an outlet to complain.

"grumble, grumble"

scipper77

Commander

This poll and others like it are why I have a personal policy to never vote in or comment on any poll ever. It will show up in your "My Replies" list for years.

P.S. I have already committed the sin of participation in this poll or I wouldn't be posting this;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I did close the poll a long time ago. I'm a old poll-closing fool. It will only be brought back by actual replies.

skargo

Banned

Pretty much any thread in the towing section nowadays :p

Without a doubt!

I have never, in all of my different forum browsing, seen so many nonchalant attitudes about towing as I do here.

It's always "the ramp is right down the street" or "I only have to tow a short distance"....please. :rolleyes:

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have to say the ones where somebody has a small car / minivan, and wants to know if it can tow a 5,000 pound boat. It is clearly written on the vehicle, or on the website, or the owner's manual. Why would you not just follow what those items say?

oh, i see that all the time.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I choose what I read and what I respond to so I don't find any thread topic annoying. What I do find annoying is when there is a good discussion going on in a thread that peaks my interest and then someone comes in with a personal attack and turns the thread into an argument, often getting it locked before the actual interesting discussion had been exhausted.

X2....Ill save the typing.... why should a thread topic bother anyone...

from now till the forum dies out, new people will come in an ask a question that is 100% genuine and new to them, but we have all heard a gazillion times...doesnt make a difference...it is a valid question...even if there is a search function

ok so much fior not typing !! ha ha

id will vote for "what to name my boat".... how can others have input into that??:rolleyes:

bob

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Should I buy a 470?

Then once the person is told not to buy it, everyone who happens to own one gets on and says they are the best engines ever made.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As a person who was just recently taken out back and beaten for telling someone not to buy a boat with a Force...I agree wholeheartedly with the above ^^^^

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....i will vote for "what to name my boat".... how can others have input into that??:rolleyes:

I know.... That isn't that big a deal to me unless it is a boat big enough to change continents, seas, or at least navigate the intracoastal and live on! Then it probably needs a name.

Q: What do I call my boat? A: "mine"

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How about any post that has a title that basically doesn't describe anything in the post...like "Help" or "First Time Boater"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. What are the compression specs on ________??

2. Can I tow my Gar Wood 18' with a 1947 Studebaker?

3. "HELP", or "Lost", or "Noob needs help".

skargo

Banned

1. What are the compression specs on ________??

2. Can I tow my Gar Wood 18' with a 1947 Studebaker?

3. "HELP", or "Lost", or "Noob needs help".

4. Md is just as warm as Florida :D

hehehehehe, I had too :p

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about which wax/polish is better.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

"I need help in finding a nice boat for me and my friends to relax on,
specially on hazy days. We want to pop-up right now on wakeboards, and
some loud music will help. We want to do lakes and rivers, and open water
when ocasion calls for it. We want to do some fishin' and probaly some
swimmin. Price has to be about 200 to 300 dollars, for now. Thanks for
helping us find our boat."

:rolleyes:

Above is somewhat exaggerated, but there are some posts to that tune.
I guess everybody has a tender spot here or there.