Steering frozen on Yamaha exciter 220

duckdodgers

Recruit
Due to not using my boat for some time the steering is frozen.If anyone has any information and diagrams on access to any likely points that could be the problem or any fix at all I would really appreciate any help..

DD

cenniss

Recruit
Re: Steering frozen on Yamaha exciter 220

I know your post is about a year old and not sure if youve figured this out yet but I just saw this and I too have the 98 exciter, and this also happen's to mine, in fact I have snapped the steering cable trying to break it loose... Im in San Diego, Im not sure if its because of salt water or not but what's happening is the water is getting through in between the cable and its sleeve, then when it sits for a while the cable corrode's itself to the sleeve, same with the forward-nuetral-reverse cable. I have tried to figure out a way to get them lubricated but all in all, its a ****ty design and no way to lubricate them, but if im wrong about that then please, someone tell us. what I do to prevent more broken cables is I go out to the boat once a week and turn the steering wheel back and forth for a bit, same with the forward/reverse cable. I hope this helps you out.