Any Yamaha jet boat owners out there?

emshaferii

Recruit
Re: Any Yamaha jet boat owners out there?

This is my first post, and I too, am leaning heavily toward a 2007/2008 AR230. This will also be my first boat purchase although I've been around boats all my life. I am a huge fan of Japanese engineering and Toyota like fit and finish. If Honda made a jet boat, I'd definately be in the market. I will only be using this boat in fresh water for tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, and cruising with my family of 5. How is the fit and finish on this boat compared with Sea Ray or Four Winns? What are some of your favorite "add ons" for this boat? What is your greatest gripe about this model? Why are there so few of these boats around? Is the expected life span the same as a conventional I/O? thanks in advance.

Sea Yaw

Cadet

First, sorry for the delay

The fit and finish is very good. There are not a whole lot of things I can complain about. You would almost have to compare yourself to see if it meets your taste. I bought a compact GPS/chartplotter with built in antenna which I realy like. I also got a custom made camper canopy for bad weather and cooler days. No regrets there either. I used it many times this past summer. It only takes about 10 min to fully put up. Thing I got from Yamaha accessories and regret: cheezy anchor (paper weight), bow tent (not very good). What I miss: the 21 footer has a very nice bow ladder that the 23 doesn't have (still wouldn't trade my boat for it though). Will try to find something aftermarket. Wish I would have bought the cockpit cushion that makes a bed. Next summer. I can't say why there aren't more around. My dealer sold about 8 this summer, their first year selling them. Life span: the jet consists of a shaft, an impeller, and 2 bearings. Pretty simple compared to a stern drive. As far as engines go, I can't see why they wouldn't outlast the others. I guess only time will tell.

Sea Yaw!

Sea Yaw

Cadet

emshaferii,

Also you might want to re-read my post #38. Good info on life expectancy.

Sea Yaw!

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don,t know about the yamaha boat. But up here , all we run are jet boats. I have a friend that has a 115 hp yamaha jet O B 4 stroke and he loves it. when docking, always try to dock on the downwind side. When running onto a trailer, Idle your bow just past trailer roller and give a quick shot of revers and I mean quick, Let the boat drift back past roller cut it hard and give a easy shot forward. On a river same thing only you are working against the current instead of the wind. Takes practice but you will get it. If the wind or current is running 90% to the dock idle up to it and tie your bow first. If you have to dock on the up wind side Bring your hull to a stop a few feet from it. and let the wind do the work for you. Of course there are variables but it takes practise till you know what your boat will do under different conditions. long slow approch with a jet.

lawson2479

Recruit

Hello, Don't know if this helps. I have a 07 AR230 with 80+ hrs of lake use; tubing, skiing, etc... Growing up in FL and 30+ years of boating I wouldn't trade my yamaha except for another one. They are very low matainence, have a comfortable ride. quick out of the hole an a good top end, (app. 50 mph). I agree with sea-yaw on most points. I opted for the cobra steering mod, daylight to dark difference in low speed handling. And my wife trailers the boat easily now with increased confidence and consistency. And don't forget they have 2 engines just in case you do have a problem.

cgyuma

Recruit

I have a '06 AR230 HO. I would not trade it for anything other than a newer model! It took some getting used to the low speed handling other than that the boat is incredible! For those looking for advice on whether to buy a Yammi or not check out www.yamahajetboaters.com Great bunch of helpful Yammi owners there. If you own a Yamaha jet boat you should definately check out this forum if you haven't already. (IMO)

Happy Jet Boating

SpudRacer

Recruit

My wife and I are also in the market for a new boat this spring. I was intrigued by the Yamaha jet boats. I curently use a 27yo Ranger Bass boat with a 175hp Johnson outboard, but now have 2 kids (4yo and 2yo)and want a more "family oriented" boat.

I like the fact that the jet boat is lighter in weight as I tow with an 07' Wrangler 4-dr. A 23' jet boat weighs less than a 21' stern drive. I've done quite a bit of reading about the Cobra steering rudders, and think they should help with low speed steering.

My biggest concern is the top speed of the boat. We're looking at a new 09 232 Limited S, and reviews put it at 48mph-50mph top speed. I'm used to being able to go a little faster than that. The only other boat in contention at this time is a Tahoe Q8i with a 350MPI and a Bravo 1 drive. This should go around 53-54mph, and I could always add a Procharger supercharger to exceed 60mph without breaking a sweat.

Are there mods to be made to the Yamaha Jet Boats to increase top speed without sacrificing longevity or idle? My friend has a power boat that does 48mph, and I hate to spend $35,000 for a boat that can't whip his in a WOT race...

Tom
Bryson City, NC

big4blue

Cadet

Check out GroupK.com. They are a company our of AZ that has done several Yamaha Jet Boat mods. They even tell you how they did them. You could print off the specs of their mods (prices and parts are included on them too) that you could take to a boat repair/performance shop to replicate. The mod they listed for my Yammy called the Sleeper got it to 70. I just did the Group 2 and my top end is 64 (it was 53 before that). Keep in mind however, that these jet boats will get to plane faster than most any stern drive out there which could be the edge you need to put the smack down on your friend! :eek:)

smokeymac

Recruit

To those that are interested in more input if you are considering a Yamaha Jet Boat.

I guess I got a combination of bad luck and a lemon. My wife and I purchased an SS212 for use in the Fla. panhandle and Ga. freshwater lakes and rivers. It now has 15 hrs. on it and has been back to the shop three times. It blew a newly replaced seal today on the lake.

The radio wasn't working properly when first picked up. It's been a month now and still isn't working. We took it in for the 10 hr. service (150.00 per engine) and to have the radio replaced. During the break-in period we had noticed the throttles were'nt sync'd up. One engine maxed out at 8300 and one at 10000 rpm. Also would'nt run more than about 42 mph according to the on board speedometer. Service Mgr. said they'd been having some problems with the jet seals and if one was leaking it would let air in and cause cavitation causing it to run faster than the other.He also said that boat should run 50+. He said he would replace them. He did. One of the seals blew out today after 5 hrs of use after replacement.

When we picked up the boat after the repairs, we took it straight to the launch ramp the next day (a sunday). Fortunately, we tried to crank it before we launched. Notice I said "tried". The battery had been discharged somewhere at the dealership. Could have been the faulty radio which had not yet been uninstalled. I called the salesman and he met me with a battery. What a great salesman.

Motors still would'nt sync up at max power. Carried it back early next business day. Went back in P.M to pick it up and chatted with service tech. He made comment that Yamaha tried to put too much power in the jets and they just could'nt handle the pressure. (SS212 has 160 hp per engine in the 1052 cc engine.) When queried as to throttle problem, he stated it was a minor adjustment in the linkage. That was probably the problem in the first place!
Also....still no radio. Dealer claimed he would replace it with one already in a boat they had on the lot but Yamaha corp wouldn't let him. So...it's on order!!!!!

We did get the cobra jet fins which improved slow speed manuevers and the boat seems to handle well in rough water, considering it's size. It's shallow draft is a plus as well. Fit and finish are very good. Still the frustration in spending 34K on a new boat and not being able to use it is very disconcerting. Wished I had spent the extra $$ and bought a conventional I/O.

Does anybody else have any experience with the jet seals?

wakesteve

Recruit

Hey I know that the ar210 is not a true wakeboard boat but can anyone let me know if the wake is big behind this boat or if it is pretty small. I want to have a boat with a descent wake and I cant find any info on the size or shape of the wake.

Coastal44

Recruit

I purchased 2004 Yamaha SX230 this year and primarly used it on a small lake near Columbus, Ohio (Alum Creek). After owning I/O's all my life, I doubt I'll ever go back. It amazed me how little maintenance these boats require, especially when winterizing. The only downside is controlling the steering while ideling, which has been corrected on later models with the "No Wake Mode" feature. I felt comfortable after my third time out though.

It worked out well, since I didn't have to upgrade tow vehicles as well. My 2004 GMC Envoy pulls it with no problems. I can't wait to try the boat on Lake Erie next year. Many reviews say they handled rough water better than most 23' I/O boats in their class. Which I can decide for myself.

sean gorman

Recruit

If there there is anyone who can point in the right direction it would be a big help. I have a 2005 yamaha sx230 jet boat that has a fuel leak in one engine and is running at 7000 rpm. They have already replaced the computer and did not seem to fix the problem. Now they are telling me the computer is faulty and needs replacement. I'm angry and puzzled . Angry because its sunny. I love this boat and don't know where to turn. Can anybody help.

cheers

MsMarci

Recruit

I'm giving serious consideration to some of these as my next bowrider to replace the old Rinker sterndrive:<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/boat/products/lifestylehome/home.aspx <br />Would LOVE to hear an objective opinion from anyone else who has switched from a conventional sterndrive runabout to one of these newer twin 4-stroke jet boats from Yamaha. My primary use would be watersports...<br /><br />I'm really interested in specific differences you may have noticed regarding power/accelleration, handling, fuel economy, maintenance, and general build quality of these rigs. And curious how the wake compares to a sterndrive (I primarily slalom so a flatter wake is my preference, but I don't really want an inboard for various reasons)<br /><br />Thanks to anyone willing to share their experiences.

Hello:
Yes we switched from our beloved Regal to a 2009 AR210 jet boat. A couple of things to consider - the wake is rough. Period. Stay out of the wake if you are an avid slolam skiier or wakeboarder. Once you get used to how it pulls you - it is a great boat. It is definitely different than a stern drive, for example, very hard to control especially trying to trailer in moderate winds. You have no neutral, you will spin in circles once you cut the power. All things considered, we love the boat, just needed to adapt a little. Once you get out of the wake and stay to the left or right it is a fun boat to ski behind. All things considered, we love the fact we don't have to fear the prop when swimming behind the boat, or busting the seals on the outdrive in shallow water. My recommendation - make the switch, be mindful of some comparisons you will need to adapt to, and happy boating!!!!

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife and I are considering a 210 for next year, we have a 15month old right now and another on the way. We are trying to find something with a good ride on the Ohio and lake Norris. Can anyone advise on the ride quality, I do not want a boat that bounces and hops like my 16.5 ft.

Thanks

solanabeacherman

Seaman Apprentice

We bought an AR210 this year and love it. Great smooth ride on the lake, a little more "fun" in the bay. You won't be dissapointed going propless.

OCP

Recruit

Yep, i have a 04 ar230 ho

OCP

Recruit

Its probably the best boat i've ever had as sport boats go, stable, good on gas, pulling power, and room for 10, cmon

OCP

Recruit

Any yamaha ar230 owners have problems with the stock charging system not being able to keep up with the stereo? I have a peak watt system of about 5000w, and unless i'm floored all day the batteries will not hold up!!

arwakejumper230

Recruit

c1c, what specs. are you compareing that are so completely diffenent from pwc to boats? my pwc has a 998cc 4stroke, 20 valve mutlti port fuel injection in it, deemed by yamaha as the MR-1. ( 3 versions. mine, the 998cc 140hp. the 1098cc 160hp, the high output version, and a the 1098cc 110 hp. a detuned HO)a marine version of the R-1 mortocycle engine. i may be confused here. but the three cyl. engines that i thought yamaha had are the 2 stroke ones. and i don't think they have carbs. they are fuel injected too. at least the marine ones are. don't know at all about the snowmobiles. <br />yep i got the shop manual for mine too right away. about 6 or 7 pages on valve adj. they use pads of diffent thickness to adj the valves. and does take special yamaha tools to accomplish. <br />straighten me out if i'm incorrect please. i just wasn't aware of these 3 cyl. carbed models ('02 and newer) and i'm not aware of any major differeces in the 4 stroke pwc engines vs the jet boat engines. i'd be interested in those diffences too. i really think they are the same engines in these toys. now i'll go read the yamaha web site and see if i can see what yer talking about.....[/

I have a 2007 Yamaha AR230HO. I'm new to this whole fourm thing. If it helps you out any at all, we love our boat!!! I wouldn't trade or sale it!! It has the twin jet motors in it and they have 160 hp in each motor.

cabinboat

Recruit

What did you do to fix the problem? I have a similar issue and want to see if it will work.